Anyone got moths in ED?

SteveT Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I thought my moths had disappeared but only in the

> last few days have they started to move around,

> because the temperature has risen I suppose.

Same here but we do only have one carpet left now (also soon to be replaced) so the majority of our infestation is probably languishing over at my allotment.

The little bastards ate gaping holes in our (nearly new) dining room carpet. It looks like the cleaner had been doing a less-than-thorough job in that room. After a long clean and hoovering session, a whole can of Raid, and moth-balls by the skirting boards, I thought they'd gone away. But then I saw a couple of them again the other day.

If they are not careful, they will find themselves in a bloody war of attrition.

We are at the moment living without carpet in our hall/stairs/landing until we can remove our last completely moth-eaten carpet and hopefully be rid of them for good. We have replaced carpets with wooden flooring in all rooms, which has reduced the number of moths we see flying around enormously, but would prefer carpet on the stairs out of consideration to our neighbours. The problem will be finding a suitable carpet without natural fibres. Has anyone had any problems with moths with sisal carpet?

Found an infestation under my bathroom rug, they had eaten through the underneath of it and there were loads of eggs, many hatching.

Sprayed 'em with the nearest thing to hand, Drakkar aftershave, their corpses smell sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

I'm sure there are othersources, I belivee they also hide/hatch under floorboards as sometimes I see them slip down between the boards - I have mainly stripped floors in the house.

Have fly paper hanging from ceiling of hallway on each floor which seems to catch the odd one.

Am also using an old shirt to attack the odd moth I see on hall ceiling or at top of the wall.

If it was mice you'd get a cat, what's the equivalent for moths ?

Thanks EDmummy The problem is I don't really like polypropelene carpets.

Does anyone know what the difference is between sisal, coir, jute etc or what type of fibres they are? I know they are all natural fibres but presumably not a wool fibre which is what the moths seem to love in our house. Are they soft straw fibres? I have a straw bag sitting on the carpet which the moths don't seem to bother with, even though they have destroyed all the wool fibre from the wool mix carpet surrounding it, leaving just dark patches of the nylon fibre. I am hoping to find something with a sisal-type look but hopefully something that the moths won't also enjoy. Maybe best to get some samples and place them on the moth-eaten carpet and see what happens over a period of time.

KidKruger Wrote:

> Found an infestation under my bathroom rug, they

> had eaten through the underneath of it and there

> were loads of eggs, many hatching.

> Sprayed 'em with the nearest thing to hand,

xxxxxxxx

OMG I have looked everywhere and can't find any eggs, larvae, whatever, is it my ailing eyesight or are they microscopic, I can see the moths but what do these other things look like??????

Anyone got any pix or any links to any pix online, I need to know what I am supposed to be looking for, and then they are toast!!!!

Sue the eggs are in clusters they are tiny and yellowy-white coloured. Since the eggs are normally in clusters it's sort of irrelevant what their size is individually because when you find a cluster you'll know you have found them. If pushed I'd say an egg is the size of the eye of a small needle.

I am on the market "Canaries. Bats. Spiders." as of this weekend by way of escalating this offensive.

KidKruger Wrote:

> I belivee they

> also hide/hatch under floorboards as sometimes I

> see them slip down between the boards - I have

> mainly stripped floors in the house.

xxxxx

Great. Yes, my problems seemed to start when I removed the carpets and sanded the floorboards (6)

Mind you, that was many problems, not just moth problems :))

KidKruger Wrote:

> Mamma Mia you may have to go for Linoleum.

> Life's FULL of compromises.

You could be right. This is our 4th year and have tried everything, pheremone traps, the lot, and my patience is wearing thin. They are reducing in number so I guess we are slowing defeating them. Let battle commence, again!!!