Building an extension

fatcats

Hithere

Hoping for any advice from anyone that has had an extension built.

We are looking at building a second storey over an existing single storey extension. We would need to extend our mortgage in order to do this and get need planning permission. I believe we would also need our builders to do a test dig to check that the foundations of the existing extension could support a second storey.

We're not really sure what of what order to do things in, we are thinking that trying to arrange finance first might be the best thing to do, however, I was hoping for advice for anyone that might have done something similar to their house?

Thanks in advance

You need an architect to draw up plans and a structural engineer to make the necessary calculations.

Until you have plans drawn up it is not possible to gain an accurate price on cost - and you will need the plans to apply for planning permission anyway.

I'm doing something similar. The first thing is to get plans drawn up and apply for planning. It's not necesary to engage structural engineering costs before obtaining planning permission. Once you have planning permission, then I'd engage a structural engineer to do building regs / contruction drawings that you can use to tender the work. Building regs approval takes 6 weeks during which time you can arrange finance.

However, even before you go for planning, most builders will give you a rough indication over the phone of how much a job like this should cost (it will be very ballpark and wide ranging) so you can see if you can afford it before you go down this path. First storey extensions can be difficult to obtain planning for so I would definitely do that before enganging any other costs.

Good luck!

Surely the first thing to do is find out how much money your lender will forward, it's not like banks are throwing money around these days. What's the point of wasting money on getting plans done etc if they are only going to lend enough money to do half the extension?

Once you've found out how much money they will lend you, get a few builders around to give you a rough estimate. If this falls within the amount the bank will lend you, then the next thing to do is get the existing foundations looked at by an engineer. If they are not sufficient to support an additional storey, it will mean the existing foundations/extension will have to be underpinned and reinforced, adding thousands to the costs the builders estimated. The cost of a trial pit or two, and an engineer for an hour would be money well spent, and will cost you a lot less than paying for planning drawings/application, which as I said earlier, will be of no use to you if you can't afford to do the works...

Yes, finding out if you can afford it includes getting an indication of your finance options as well as a rough estimate of costs in my view. However, I wouldn't actually refinance / take-out a loan before getting planning permission as its not guaranteed. Also, planning permission is valuable in and of itself. It lasts for a couple of years so you have time to save up if necessary and if you sell before doing the works, you can pass the planning permission to the next buyer. Most first floor extensions are refused which is the only reason why I'd be cautious about engaging too many costs related to the project before knowing whether you can legally do the work.

What's the new extension going to provide. Another bedroom or a bathroom, or a reconfiguration of both. Max amount of money you could raise is the one to figure first. Then figure out what's needed construction wise.

So if you can borrow ?50 k, then you'll not want quotes coming in more than ?30k. However, you WILL end up spending nearer to ?50k on your ?30k extension because NO MATTER WHAT, there'll be hidden and extra costs. All builders are deluded optimists as are customers, trouble is only one pays the bills & that's you.

And when you hear "I know you think i'm mad and i've heard all the advice, but I really do want the real limestone in the bathroom darling" then run for the hills.