GALA Music Festival 2024 Consultation

tomster

So Gala has got an events licence for the three days, despite overwhelming objections. It is subject to them complying with the conditions below, so I would urge anyone who has evidence that they are breaching any of these conditions report it to Southwark.

And also please report anything that is even vaguely unacceptable throughout the whole process - don't let them get away with doing whatever they want in our park for the sake of a phone call!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Peckham Rye Park Stakeholder

Re: GALA Music Festival – event application ref: SWKEVE000694 - NOTICE OF DECISION regarding event consultation

We write to inform you that the event application submitted by Assembled GALA Ltd to hold the GALA Music Festival in Peckham Rye Park on the 24, 25 and 26 May 2024 has been approved.

The decision to approve this application is based upon the findings of the event consultation, as recorded in the consultation findings report (circulated on the 28 February). No new information or grounds for objection were raised by stakeholders in the two week period following publication of the report. The report is attached for reference.

The issuing of the events licence is subject to the following: 

· That the event operator delivers the event in line with Southwark’s Outdoor Events Policy

· That the event operator delivers the event in line with the conditions listed in the event Licence Agreement

· That the event operator delivers the event in line with the conditions attached to premises licence: 879391

· That the event operator delivers the event in line with the Event Safety Management Plan, of which all elements must be approved by Southwark’s Safety Advisory Group

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Best wishes,

Charlie Simm

Senior Events Officer

London Borough of Southwark

Email direct: [email protected] 

Email general: [email protected] 

Tel: 020 7525 2739

Office address: Culture & Events, 3rd Floor, 160 Tooley Street, SE1 2QH

I'm fairly sure the same (or very similar) conditions were in place for all the previous events, and haven't been met every time. With zero checks during, or consequences after, the event. 

If Southwark council were to actually take these repeated breaches into account (together with the overwhelming objections from the local community) when considering each years licence, there's no way they should grant them.

But then they wouldn't be able to fund all these wonderful free events that no one is aware of...

This is the grumpiest, most depressing thread. 

- It’s 3 days! 
- The MAJORITY of the Rye remains available to the public, green space remains for all

- The event attracts people from Peckham as-well as surrounding areas - don’t we want to bring people to Peckham and celebrate it as a great place to visit/live?

I live steps away from the event, yes it’s a bit loud but isn’t it great to hear people enjoying themselves and if needed there’s some decent ear plugs available these days.

On 07/12/2023 at 15:47, first mate said:

It is true the Rye is available and much more suited to large scale events. It is where the Funfairs, the annual Peckham Rye fete etc.. are sited. This begs the question why Gala is in the park rather than on the Rye? Why lose a large and very popular area of parkland in the summer months, a time for enjoying nature? Why section it off with ugly, high metal barriers, patrolled by security on walkie talkies? Why open that area up to environmental damage when, as you say, there are other more open and suitable areas that could be used and would not interfere so much with enjoyment of the park itself, by those not attending GALA?

I guess the council will tell you that it needs the revenue raised because of budgets cuts from central government. It's the line Lambeth always rolled out when allowing concerts/ music events to take place on Clapham common.

8 hours ago, fishboy said:

If Southwark council were to actually take these repeated breaches into account (together with the overwhelming objections from the local community) when considering each years licence, there's no way they should grant them.

Are there overwhelming objections? I live opposite the Rye and many of my neighbours are not to fussed or put out by the event taking place. I suppose it depends on how near one is to the main area but i must say when the crowds are dispersing it isn't a problem, noisy, rowdy or disruptive. It seems to be tidied up and litter free at the end of each day. Also very unusual to see people drugged and pissed up and staggering about causing a nuisance. All very calm and well behaved compared to when i was that age 😇

13 hours ago, RachelB0403 said:

- It’s 3 days! 
- The MAJORITY of the Rye remains available to the public, green space remains for all

- The event attracts people from Peckham as-well as surrounding areas - don’t we want to bring people to Peckham and celebrate it as a great place to visit/live?

I live steps away from the event, yes it’s a bit loud but isn’t it great to hear people enjoying themselves and if needed there’s some decent ear plugs available these days.

The thing is, the impact does not last for three days but for nearly a month, that is a lot of time to have a major part of the park removed from local access. It also changes the character of the park over that time. The giant metal hoardings are awful. Early summer is also when the park is most beautiful and when you hope to enjoy that oasis of nature and escape the hustle and bustle of the city. That peace has massive benefits for mental and physical health.

Instead, for around a month, the park is partly sectioned off; metal barriers erected, there is a background noise of generators and building vehicles and work, security guys dressed in black wander around yacking on walkie talkies.

it is a park; not a music venue. There are literally hundreds of festivals for committed festival goers to visit elsewhere. There are zillions of live music venues and clubs. Why transpose all of that onto one of the few green oasis we have? It is bonkers.

The primary motivation of this thread was to halt the madness of extending the live music event from 3 days to 6 and beyond. I am extremely glad that did not happen.

14 hours ago, RachelB0403 said:

- It’s 3 days! 

Its because it's the most depressing situation - wannabe festival organisers using our park as a resource to make a profit, with zero consideration for the welfare of the park or anything / anyone around it. And a council having to let them do it because they can't afford not to. 

Its not 3 days, it's nearly a month that the best part of our park is taken away during the best part of the year. The other areas are often being used for cricket, football, hurling, Australian Rules etc so not really available to just sit and relax in the sun. And The Rye isn't The Park...

The people it attracts have zero interest in the area, they're purely coming to try to have a good time, and also have zero consideration for the welfare of the park & environs. I've witnessed them dropping cans & bottles en route to the site (partly because the organisers have failed to provide external bins AGAIN) and also many nipping into the bushes to urinate (partly because the organisers failed to provide the promised external portaloos) while young children were playing around them. And the litter that is ground into the earth all over the site (ring pulls, bottle tops, filter tips, cut off cable ties) remains forever - the cleaning teams only appear to remove the obvious, big items, so the park is gradually degrading year after year. 

I also live on the doorstep, and personally the noise levels are the least of my concerns. I do know they heavily affect the wildlife in the park though, as does the 24/7 lighting. We had a woodpecker visit our feeders every day of the live days last year, never seen it before or since. And bearing in mind it is nesting season, I dread to think of how many nests are abandoned due to the disturbance. 

So yes, I'm a bit depressed and grumpy about the whole thing. I'm all for people enjoying themselves, but on a suitable site which doesn't massively disrupt and inconvenience so many others. There's a reason festivals are traditionally held in the countryside...

We went last year (yes we are local) and it was one of the best organised events and well behaved festival crowds I have ever seen.

It only takes up a small portion of the park, one which is generally pretty unloved and less used by people.

As someone with no private garden I am very concerned with, and alert to, the privatisation of public green spaces but this is not that.  This thread just tends to read like a lot of elderly middle class whingers who feel they own the park because they are luckly enough to own a property over looking it.

Let's just ignore the casual ageism (for some reason one of the more acceptable isms).

I disagree it is an unloved and little used section of the park, quite the contrary. On my many park visits it is well used and, naturally, much more so as we head towards summer. The area used is a significant part of the park, for comparison, apparently the common land on the Rye, where most events have been held,  is not large enough!

If you are attuned to creeping privatisation of green spaces then I assume you would not support extension of the event?

It may be well organised in your view,  but there is enough evidence of year on year damage to the parkland that is used for the event, as well as failure to meet various obligations ( admitted by the organisers), to raise question marks on that score. Well organised is not just about fewer drugs, etc..

We will have to agree to disagree on frequent use of that area, bearing in mind that part of it was/ is left to grow wild in the more swampy area to encourage flora and fauna. However, the mowed areas are, in my experience, well used. We must go at different times of day.

Some fair and valid points made for both for and against. I think living in a big major city means there's more a likelihood of these events happening and more so where there's vast open space surrounded by various transport links. Just part and parcel of modern city living.

But, the 'vast' open spaces like Hyde park, Clapham Common, Finsbury Park, already have these events only a short bus, train or cycle journey away. So these sort of events already exist for those that want them.

However, I would not describe Peckham Rye park as a vast space. It is relatively small and compared to the aforementioned, in a totally different class in terms of scale. That is, of course,  why it should not be used to mount this kind of event.

This is not about serving the community, though there will always be takers for an event like this among dedicated festival goers. There is no pressing need, this is purely about the council making money by whatever means it can and I think we will come to regret letting them do this.

FWIW I also like live music but there is a time and a place and I find it hard to accept that our supposedly envrionment-loving and green-friendly council is actively pushing to extend this event.

Edited by first mate

11 hours ago, Jenijenjen said:

In a time when there have been devastating cut backs to council funding, I don't see a problem with the council's efforts to raise money for the greater good.

Maybe. How much profit does the Council make from it? We don't know.

What would be a fair price to put on the environmental degradation of thousands of small pieces of plastic, cigarette butts, zip ties...?

If that is an issue you should include a full environmental cost on all goods and services.  I'd be happy with that but don't see this being a manifesto commitment from the main parties.  

The point here is to stop further degradation of Peckham Rye Park and other green areas. The first action would be to extract a pledge that the Gala event will never be extended and no similar events mounted. I would also maintain that Peckham Rye Park was never suitable for an event of this scale.

22 hours ago, first mate said:

But, the 'vast' open spaces like Hyde park, Clapham Common, Finsbury Park, already have these events only a short bus, train or cycle journey away. So these sort of events already exist for those that want them.

That comes across very much like- not in my back yard- Different events need different locations because they can't all happen at once and certainly not in just the three venues mentioned above. There are numerous concerts/ music events that happen across London in the summer months. There are umpteen genres of dance music, reggae, soul, funk, jazz.etc and lots and lots of popular events that have been going for years. London is huge with lots of people and lots of open space and Peckham rye is one of those spaces that can accommodate a large crowd. If it couldn't the event organizers wouldn't be issued with a license to hold their event,

22 hours ago, first mate said:

However, I would not describe Peckham Rye park as a vast space.

It's vast enough to accommodate an event that draws in big crowds whilst much of the Rye carries on being accessible to the public. I wouldn't describe Clapham common as a vast space considering there's at least three busy roads  and three fishing ponds that divide it up. It also halves in size once the perimeter fences go up around the events area which is on the main part of the common which also happens to be the most popular part for joggers, dog walkers, bathers, team sports, skateboarders', anglers etc. ;

Finsbury park is smaller than the rye.

On 06/04/2024 at 07:24, first mate said:

This is not about serving the community,

The foot fall coming into the area can only be a good thing for local independent  shops, eateries and bars etc. Does Gala actually claim to be serving the community?

There is no pressing need, this is purely about the council making money by whatever means it can and I think we will come to regret letting them do this.

How and why? What will we come to regret? And who has let them do this/ who is we? Was there a vote? What did you personally do to try and stop them?

FWIW I also like live music but there is a time and a place a

Yes summertime in Clapham, Hyde park and Finsbury park but not Peckham right?

13 hours ago, first mate said:

But surely protecting and cherishing our green spaces is for the greater good?

But not the green spaces in Clapham, Westminster and Finsbury park etc?z

22 minutes ago, Dulwich dweller said:

The foot fall coming into the area can only be a good thing for local independent  shops, eateries and bars etc

Oh come off it. The punters are fenced in for the duration of the event. You're talking about "footfall in the area" but that's the 2 minutes between them arriving in the morning and staggering home in the evening after 12 hours of cider and adulterated cocaine.

1 hour ago, first mate said:

I would also maintain that Peckham Rye Park was never suitable for an event of this scale.

It clearly is because the event goes ahead each year without major incidents, crime waves, antisocial behaviour and from my own personal experience it hasn't curtailed our use of the rye. We can still kick a football about with the grandkids, enjoy the gardens, walk the dogs etc.When it shuts down for the night the crowds disperse quickly. The area being well served by various forms of public transport helps see to that.

Have you read the objections and the supporting evidence to the event?

It is not about crime waves but long-term impact on the park. Do you really believe that after each 'clean-up' the land used is returned to baseline? Do you really think that the month's worth of upheaval, noise and light pollution has zero effect on the wildlife?

It is disingenuous to make out that the impact on the rest of the park is negligible and everything carries on as usual. 

Do you support further extending this event? Because if this Council have their way that is what will happen.

1 minute ago, Dogkennelhillbilly said:

Oh come off it. The punters are fenced in for the duration of the event.

Yes that'll be why Tesco's and the other local shops on East Dulwich road have empty shelves and think Xmas has come early. Rye lane and it's eateries do roaring business when punters walk from the train/ overground station, up Rye lane, stop for a beer, bite to eat before continuing on to the Music. My partner owns a foodies place on Rye lane and have a bumper time courtesy of the festival goers coming into the area via Peckham rye station.

8 minutes ago, Dogkennelhillbilly said:

The punters are fenced in for the duration of the event.

They can come and go as they please. In and out as much as they want. They are not fenced in as you want make it seem. It's not an open prison.

11 minutes ago, Dogkennelhillbilly said:

You're talking about "footfall in the area" but that's the 2 minutes between them arriving in the morning and staggering home in the evening after 12 hours of cider and adulterated cocaine.

Oh dear. You're making a fool of yourself with Daily mail/ The Sun levels of sensationalism and down right cobblers.  I actually mentioned in an earlier post on this thread  ( fifth post down on this page) that the groups that i see leaving are all fairly sober looking to me and not pissed and drugged up. You do see the odd bit of debris from the laughing gas canisters and balloons but no residue rizla packets, broken fags, empty weed baggies etc. Where do you get the adulterated cocaine theory from? Do you stand outside afterwards looking at peoples jaws and eyeballs or do you have proof?

I've been a DJ for 35 years and have been around people on the powders and disco biscuits most of my working life. I can tell you that i can spot someone that's been indulging a mile off. I went to the actual event for a few hours last year with my Partner. One of the first things that struck me was how straight and sober much of the crowd appeared to be. Lots of balloons being done but hardly saw anyone off there bonce, or openly having a toot, skinning up or chewing their faces off. It was all fairly boring and very tame looking. It certainly wasn't anything like my generation of ' ravers ' were like when we were in our late teens/ 20's. I'm talking about the mid to late 80's and early 90's and when the rave scene in London was booming and the disco biscuits and marching powder were powerful and plentiful.

By the way- all cocaine, mdma, speed etc is adulterated. If it wasn't there would be youngsters/ users dropping dead by the lorry load in nightclubs up and down the country every weekend.

12 hours of cider and adulterated cocaine 😂.   The Gala crowd is definitely not a coke crowd.  

We are night time people and have been to loads of events and festivals over the years and the Gala crowd is over all very respectful and well behaved.  I am not saying drugs do not happen, because they happen every where but there is probably more coke use going in the toilets of your high street local of a Saturday night.

I hope all those concered with green spaces, the environment and nature are equally supportive of polices to reduce car use and air pollution in the area.

Edited by Cyclemonkey

On 05/04/2024 at 08:47, first mate said:

security guys dressed in black wander around yacking on walkie talkies.

You come across as quite a selfish and inconsiderate individual. Are your gripes and concerns really  about the park or is it about you having your peace and quiet interfered with? Why does it matter what colour the security are dressed in and how do you expect them to communicate when they are obviously mobile and patrolling? What do you expect people to do with walkie talkies other than to walk and talk?