Virgin Media vs BT broadband

DOTE

We have Virgin Media broadband, not cable but down the phone line. (we're not on a cable road). It's been great for the last year (around 14mb/sec) but in the last few weeks its become unusably slow in the evenings. (Down to around 150kb/sec or so). As its always fine at off peak times I can only guess that Virgin Media have signed up too many customers and just struggle when everybody logs on, rather than it being a problem with our equipment. Just wondering if anybody else had found this, and if anybody with BT broadband could tell me how they find it - do you get the same drop off in the evening? (Not infinity, just the bog standard down the phone line service).

Be very grateful to hear anybody's experience, especially if you then switched to BT.

Thanks

hi there i use to be with virgin but left for bt ive had no rpoblems its awsome im on bt infinity 2 .download speed im getting is 70meg upload is 17 to 18 meg its awsome im pretty close to the box .you can go to there site n check it out and find out there what kind of speeds you can get where you are

Thanks for the reply - unfortunately we can't get BT infinity, just the normal broadband. So I'm really looking to see how people get on with either Virgins or BTs normal broadband down the phone line, and specifically how much the speed drops in the evenings - as at the moment our virgin broadband is great during the day, and like clockwork every day becomes almost unsuably slow in the evenings. Cheers!

I was having some problems with Virgin connection, specifically slow in evenings and dropping service and having to restart router/modem. I called them last week (150 I think from your home phone, but you can google it), and got through to an actual human in three minutes (two automated menus first). An engineer came two days later, at the beginning of the time slot I was allocated and fixed it. He boosted the signal outside the property and replaced the router and modem and it's been amazing ever since. Perhaps slightly slower in the evenings but I downloaded a 45 minute TV episode in four minutes the other day vs fifteen before. I would say to talk to them. I definitely whinged to a friend about it, but when I did something about it, was pretty astonished to actually receive really good customer service.

Thanks for the info - very helpful and glad you got yours sorted. I've already spoken to their tech department but they need me to try a few things before I get an engineer so hopefully something will get sorted. Cheers!

Archived