Favourite music releases and best gigs of the year

Earl Aelfheah

Ooohh saw Killing Joke in 85 at Ox Polly,one great big fight in rhythm with the beat.  Think "Live like kings and Queens" whilst punching someone.  Generally local punks Vs rugby club and more wild west brawl than nasty football violence.  jaz got caught up at one stage.

Ok back to modern times, Flaming Lips at Troxy, some was just beyond me but stage presence is something else.

Mainly folk gigs at Goose, Dulwich Folk Club, kings place and the like.  I'll give you my best gigs later.

Edited by malumbu

On 20/12/2023 at 11:14, mancity68 said:

Killing Joke at the 100 Club was pretty cool. Love the new PJ Harvey album. What else? Young Fathers smashed it live. What were yours?

Best live show was Sault at Drumsheds. Best small gig was Chanel Beads at the George Tavern probably. Saw CVC at Third Man Records which was surprisingly good too. I don’t love their music, but they’re a great live band. Super tight and just fun.

Edited by Earl Aelfheah

Rhiannon Giddens at the Union Chapel - you can see her at the Barbican in February but preferred this intimate gig without the backing band

Talking of the Barbican, I saw Ian McEwan curate with the LSO there, recorded for Radio 4, not my usual thing but it was wonderful (Friday), the second of two gigs in five days, hadn't done that since my teens.

Saturday Punk Karoke with live band in New Cross, much better than it may sound, I'll post a link on whats on when they do it again probably at Easter (Saturday)

Sunday Dulwich Folk Club, best gig I went to there this year - Club Debris, Quebec influenced folk with a largish young following (sell out a the Castle)

Then on the Monday 'Radios', British/Japanese couple doing 80s electro influenced stuff on of all things a Channel crossing - Britney ferries

Thursday St Pancras Old Church, lovely venue, for a CD launch, but the least memorable of the five.

And big up for Sue and Nyge, Goose is Out, at the Ivy, best gig in 2023 was probably Andy Irvine.

Looking forward to the new Year, and new gigs.

Choosing from a small sample size but Noel Gallagher at Crystal Palace Park in July was pretty special. Great venue, great support from Johnny Marr and a great set. I was never an Oasis fan so mostly there for his solo stuff, but almost lost my voice singing along to the Oasis songs at the end.

Posted (edited)
On 30/12/2023 at 10:28, WomblingFree said:

Choosing from a small sample size but Noel Gallagher at Crystal Palace Park in July was pretty special. Great venue, great support from Johnny Marr and a great set. I was never an Oasis fan so mostly there for his solo stuff, but almost lost my voice singing along to the Oasis songs at the end.

Primal Scream at Crystal Palace Bowl were good too. It's a great, local summer venue.

Edited by Earl Aelfheah

2 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

32 years since I saw Marxman/Sisters of Mercy/Depeche Mode there - agreed on a great summer venue

One of the first 'proper' concerts I ever went to was Pixies, and Ride (and some other support acts), at the bowl back in 1991.

29 minutes ago, Earl Aelfheah said:

One of the first 'proper' concerts I ever went to was Pixies, and Ride (and some other support acts), at the bowl back in 1991.

Cud, The Boo Radless and Milltown Brothers

were we ever so young etc

FWIW my top gig of 2023 was Waterboys back in March - hadn't seen them in years but what a setlist and what a show