Pumping up car tyres.

Can anyone advise where i can get my tyres pumped up?  Due to arthritis and other health conditions, I find it very difficult to use petrol station pumps, and have for several years used the tyre guy at the Grove Vale (Melbourne Grove end) and give him a few pounds for doing this. Unfortunately since Christmas he has had 4 air pump lines cut. so cannot help. As the lines cost £250 each it could be some time before I can use him again.  Prior to him, I used the tyre place near Turners in Barry Road (it has been gone for years so that is how long ago it was).

Unfortunately family are in Kent and Sussex, and local friends are not car users. If anyone has a good tyre pump who could assist for a few pounds please PM me. Thanks,

You could consider buying yourself a little cordless tyre inflator (looks  like a cordless drill) for about £70  loke Einhell brand.Then you can always use it when necessary.

But then you might ask why you ever need to inflate the tyres. I havn't done mine in about 10 years. So you may have a tyre or valve problem.

I have problems with bending down to fit air pump onto tyre valve= so owning my own pump is a non starter.  I tend to pump up the tyres every couple of months now that i do not use the car daily. Might try Kwik Fit - but every time I pass there, loads of cars waiting to go in - may try the one in Sydenham.

You may find that a service garage could help. I know that the Dulwich Test and Service Centre now in Tyrrel Road (Reg and Paul) have a pump. And are lovely people. Call them on 020 8693 1442 and explain your problem. 

I dread putting air in tyres although I have no arthritis - I just find it difficult 🙂  One of my tyres was deflating really regularly and the Tyrrell Road garage told me it was to do with the wheel and not the tyre and as my car is getting on they said I should just keep pumping up the tyre (my worst nightmare!) as it wasn't worth replacing the wheel. I ended up doing this every few days until I finally took it to Wheel Power in Brockley. They told me it was a straightforward puncture which they fixed for £20! So have lost confidence in Tyrell Road although agree they're friendly and nice. I can recommend Wheel Power although not as local. 

for god sake if the person is not able to pump car tyres ...why not some one living near him say to him dont worry come around and i will pump the tyres for you i have got a Pump.............my friend i live on Underhill Road if that is near you are more than welcome and i will pump your car tyres for you....07962204996 ....but please do get it checked its not  tyre or valve problem.

On 07/01/2024 at 16:07, Pugwash said:

Can anyone advise where i can get my tyres pumped up?  Due to arthritis and other health conditions, I find it very difficult to use petrol station pumps, and have for several years used the tyre guy at the Grove Vale (Melbourne Grove end) and give him a few pounds for doing this. Unfortunately since Christmas he has had 4 air pump lines cut. so cannot help. As the lines cost £250 each it could be some time before I can use him again.  Prior to him, I used the tyre place near Turners in Barry Road (it has been gone for years so that is how long ago it was).

Unfortunately family are in Kent and Sussex, and local friends are not car users. If anyone has a good tyre pump who could assist for a few pounds please PM me. Thanks,

I’ve got a portable one if needed!

Edited by Eastdulwich84

17 hours ago, dulwich1955 said:

he does not even bother to answer....whats the point  when people are trying to help him.

1. How do you know it is a man?

2. Pugwash  posted on this thread on Friday. There have been lots of helpful  suggestions on here.

You could private message Pugwash if you want them to reply specifically to you.

I think it's a bit off to publicly complain about a lack of response to your post, however helpful.  You said "if you live near Underhill Road." Perhaps they don't 🙄

Many thanks for your replies - I however tend if I am busy with other things (i.e 2 hospital appointments in 2 days) do not catch up with EDF for 2/3 days. Have had replies with offers but it would seem that my car would need to have a cigarette lighter attachment (or whatever it is called) in order to use a pump. Being an old car 2004 - I do not have this (as a non smoker I have never required this). Last time I had tyres pumped was around October/November. Prior to that it was August when son in law came up from Dartford and we went to petrol station to pump and top up prior to a holiday in Sussex.  I have replied by PM to a couple of offers but they required the cigarette lighter to connect pump.