Anyone experiencing even greater issues securing a GP appointment with Tessa Jowell GP practice?

On 19/04/2024 at 20:31, HHetherington said:

Hello all,

Please excuse me/feel free to remove the comment if this isn’t the appropriate place for it.

I am an East Dulwich resident writing a story for the South East Londoner (https://www.selondoner.co.uk) about the problems patients are facing with the service at Tessa Jowell GP Surgery and the Health Centre.

I would like to speak with people currently or formerly registered with the practice to learn more about their experiences.

This story won’t seek to single out or ‘have a go’ at individuals – by most accounts the quality of care for those who do get an appointment is good – but will look at the quality of service and why it seems to be worsening. 

If you would like to speak to me, you can email [email protected] and we can arrange an interview. If you’d like to check who I am first, my editor Tom Holmes can be reached at [email protected]

Thank you,

Harry Hetherington

Have you had many replies?  Are you doing telephone interviews?

Any experience of Sternhall Lane GP surgery?  I saw on their website that you can book appointments up to 4 weeks in advance, and do it by phone.or online by e-consult.  They are accepting new patients.

Good article!

But, to say that those changes to the app mentioned in the article, have already seem to have been made on the app as I had to sort out an appointment for my husband with Parkinsons last week and, to my surprise, it's been changed so you can tick to request an appointment in advance ... 3 - 5 days and the app is actually open throughout the day for this!  OR you can request an urgent appointment for that day. I spoke to the receptionist who let me know that you can now use the app for an advance appointment and it stays open throughout the day. 

Anyway, I used it successfully last Friday  at about 11:30am and got an appointment with the lovely doctor who knows my husbands case... the only thing I would say is that you should put that in the notes if you would like a specific doctor as it doesn't give you an option otherwise. 

I don't think those changes would have been made to the appointment system without the outcry of everyone here so people power works! 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Scruffy Mummy said:

Good article!

But, to say that those changes to the app mentioned in the article, have already seem to have been made on the app as I had to sort out an appointment for my husband with Parkinsons last week and, to my surprise, it's been changed so you can tick to request an appointment in advance ... 3 - 5 days and the app is actually open throughout the day for this!  OR you can request an urgent appointment for that day. I spoke to the receptionist who let me know that you can now use the app for an advance appointment and it stays open throughout the day. 

Anyway, I used it successfully last Friday  at about 11:30am and got an appointment with the lovely doctor who knows my husbands case... the only thing I would say is that you should put that in the notes if you would like a specific doctor as it doesn't give you an option otherwise. 

I don't think those changes would have been made to the appointment system without the outcry of everyone here so people power works! 

An improvement but I wonder if a patient can also call ( or walk in) now to make an appointment in advance or just via the app.  I still want to know about their *rule* that you can only request a referral on two particular days in the week.

Edited by Froglander

When I press "book an appointment" it simply say there are no available appointments. You must have had a lucky day with it? 

Here's more info on Omnes/Evergreen/Concordia in addition to the info in the article about one of their practices being taken over again by the NHS - 

https://www.nhsforsale.info/private-providers/concordia-health-new/

The formation and dissolution of companies is interesting...

https://suite.endole.co.uk/insight/people/12159522-mr-adam-hurd?page=companies

https://suite.endole.co.uk/insight/people/11150700-mr-toby-hurd

When I asked two different persons at the practice how many Doctors they had neither gave a direct answer but one did say recruitment has been difficult ...

1 hour ago, Poppy Fitzpatrick said:

I have moved doctors but the only way I managed to secure an appointment at TJ was by emailing every person/email address I could find in one email chain asking for an appointment and reiterated the app/phone system didn't work

What an ordeal.  Who ended up contacting you?

Are you happy with the new GP? Could you send me a DM with who you changed to? What kind of appointment system do they have?  Thanks. 

Downloaded the app from TJ request, it was a faff to set up and I had to contact the surgery to get my personal passcodes x3!

On trying to get my results from a scan, the response was 404 page not found!

Ditto with trying to book an appointment, says on the answerphone you can't book by phone, but you can't via the app either.

I despair.. 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 10/05/2024 at 18:27, Castleton said:

Downloaded the app from TJ request, it was a faff to set up and I had to contact the surgery to get my personal passcodes x3!

On trying to get my results from a scan, the response was 404 page not found!

Ditto with trying to book an appointment, says on the answerphone you can't book by phone, but you can't via the app either.

I despair.. 

Did you eventually get an appt?  I phoned this morning and got the message about not being able to book by phone. I pressed the button re prescriptions and was told that if you can’t use the app someone will help you with a booking.  Was given a tel appt with a pharmacist but am not confident.   I do not think they can refuse to help you by phone, no matter what the message says.

Edited by Froglander
Correction

On 07/05/2024 at 12:51, Scruffy Mummy said:

Anyway, I used [the app] successfully last Friday  at about 11:30am and got an appointment with the lovely doctor who knows my husbands case... the only thing I would say is that you should put that in the notes if you would like a specific doctor as it doesn't give you an option otherwise. 

That's good to hear.  Is the doctor one of the TJGPS team (as on https://www.tessajowellgpsurgery.co.uk/team/), or a locum or with EPCS?

Heard that the lead GP who took over from Dr. Jonathan Love left and there is now a new lead GP, Dr. Richard Shama.   He’s also down as Group Medical Director of Omnes across seven surgeries.

I don't know if it is good news to have someone who is leading other practices.  Maybe it is I am glad to hear that someone has been able to secure an appointment.  Well done.  It is a challenge 

I've just been invited to a workshop to be held at TJ called Managing your health journey online. 

I'm not sure if anyone can access it. 

I am on the Social Prescribing list, maybe start there. If you don't know what social prescribing is, Google is your friend

On 22/05/2024 at 14:50, Castleton said:

I've just been invited to a workshop to be held at TJ called Managing your health journey online. 

I'm not sure if anyone can access it. 

I am on the Social Prescribing list, maybe start there. If you don't know what social prescribing is, Google is your friend

Are you going to go?    I’d like to know who the councillor for Tessa Jowell Surgery is.  

3 hours ago, Froglander said:

Are you going to go?    I’d like to know who the councillor for Tessa Jowell Surgery is.  

I'm expecting to attend but must amend, it's not being held at TJ!

The people running various sessions is clearcommunityweb

I don't know if this is a sign of improvement but I received a text yesterday afternoon at 4pm asking me to make a routine appointment and I was able to do it straight away - previously the service is closed by 8:01, unless the link they sent directed me to some magic askmygp portal. Was given an appointment next Friday although it's on the phone when i asked for face to face. 

Ps does everybody know there is a gym in TJ centre!? A colleague had an appointment to have an introduction with a view to some physio exercise.

She's having to wait 3 weeks for it! 

Posted (edited)

There is a physiotherapy service advertised there, though I suppose it might be just a consulting room.

Someone earlier asked about what departments were available in the TJ health centre.  I got this list in mid-March  but forgot to upload it, so thanks for the reminder.  It's copied from the signboard inside the entrance.

1st flooor: Community Health Services, GP Services, Physiotherapy,

Ground Floor: Renal Dialysis Unit, Diagnostics & Blood Tests, Children's Services, Group Rooms, Outpatients, Day Lewis Pharmacy

[Is there any way one can attach photo files here without their being displayed?]

Edited by ianr