Anyone experiencing even greater issues securing a GP appointment with Tessa Jowell GP practice?

19 hours ago, Froglander said:

Some of the GPs might be amazing.  You said the two GPs you spoke to were helpful in getting you support.   That doesn’t mean they are all helpful.  I had an unpleasant experience with a GP last week who called me to check on a prescription - I did not call them - and who refused to let me discuss anything else as it ‘wasn’t a consultation’.   His words.  

To be fair, which I know is difficult in this situation, a GP will presumably have a certain amount of time allocated to different tasks within a day, and extending the time for a prescription check in order to discuss other  things as well  would affect  their whole day's timetable, including time already allocated to other tasks and patients.

There must be other practices within  the same catchment area which people unhappy with this one could join? 

I can't understand why people aren't leaving it and going elsewhere. It's a very easy process.

4 minutes ago, Sue said:

To be fair, which I know is difficult in this situation, a GP will presumably have a certain amount of time allocated to different tasks within a day, and extending the time for a prescription check in order to discuss other  things as well  would affect  their whole day's timetable, including time already allocated to other tasks and patients.

There must be other practices within  the same catchment area which people unhappy with this one could join? 

I can't understand why people aren't leaving it and going elsewhere. It's a very easy process.

Sue, I needed to discuss another different prescription but not specifically the one that GP called about so to tell me it wasn’t a consultation was ridiculous.  

I'm not a patient at this practice, but this all makes for distressing reading. It's really frightening the way things are going. 

A friend of mine was a GP in Devon and left her practice. She now does out of hours shifts for crazy money (yes, she has moral qualms about it, but when the incentive's there...) and she says at weekends there might be only two GPs on call OOH across the entire north county. If things are bad in London, they are even worse elsewhere. How this crisis is going to be fixed, I do not know. 

16 hours ago, Sue said:

Patients shouldn't have to go elsewhere.

1 hour ago, KalamityKel said:

Patients shouldn't have to go elsewhere.

No of course they shouldn't, but if you are really unhappy with a service and nothing improves when you (and others)  complain, then an obvious option is to go elsewhere rather than stay in a bad situation.

Especially where your health is concerned.

Was told today by TJGP (not a doctor) that if you want a referral, then they can only be done on a Monday and a Thursday.  This means that you can only book a consultation for that purpose on those days.  I sincerely hope this information is incorrect.  Has anyone heard this before?  

Edited by Froglander

Are any women getting notifications about needing a mammogram from their GP?  I’ve received one from Tessa Jowell and when I contacted the breast screening service , I was told that erroneous messages are being sent out and they are now inundated by worried women.  My last one was in November 2023 and they are supposed to be every three years.  Another guess that this is to do with ££.

I received a similar message this pm on my NHS App supposedly from Forest Hill Rd Group Practice  saying I was overdue for a breast screening appointment. I had my my last one in August 2023 and am not due any more  unless I request one in 3 years time.  Clearly something has gone wrong with the system.

50 minutes ago, lmc123 said:

I received a similar message this pm on my NHS App supposedly from Forest Hill Rd Group Practice  saying I was overdue for a breast screening appointment. I had my my last one in August 2023 and am not due any more  unless I request one in 3 years time.  Clearly something has gone wrong with the system.

Yes, that’s where I got my message.   Should be a  news story as many people will be worried.  I was.  

Edited by Froglander

• 2 weeks later...

Once again I received a negative experience with Tessa Jowell GP Practice.

On Friday 22nd March 2024. I needed an appointment. at 8:00am, I consulted the evergreen website, to book an appointment, and I also started a telephone call at the exact time - 8:00am. While on hold, I repeatedly tried to arrange an appointment online as the surgery encourages its patience to book an appointment through this method., On each occassion, I am seeing a message informing me the evergreen service is closed. I do not understand why its closed, and why i am unable to book an appointment. Its 8am, and I am expecting this service to be ready for use.

I finally abandoned trying to secure a GP appointment, and remain on the telephone line, waiting patiently for someone to answer my telephone call.

Despite my telephone call starting at approximately 8:00am, the telephone call is disappointingly not answered until 8:44am, almost 45 minutes, which is totally unacceptable. This is not an acceptable level of service, especially for patience whom are ill, and waiting for an appointment.

My experience goes from bad to worse, when i am advised there are no appointments for the day to offer me, and I am advised to call back after the weekend. If I have telephoned on the exact time the surgery opens, how can there not be an appointment? This surgery is not fit for purpose, and there are clear signs, this surgery is not fulfilling its contract. I am not happy, as each time I have contact with this organization, there appears to be a problem.

I have never been able to get an appointment.  Even getting repeat prescriptions is a battle.  They are the very worst GP practise I have ever been with.  You can not book an appointment in advance.  It is terrible I need to change to another practice.  Does anyone recommend another GP practise please.  It is very stressful trying to get through on the phone and the apps are even worse.

I have never been able to get an appointment.  Even getting repeat prescriptions is a battle.  They are the very worst GP practise I have ever been with.  You can not book an appointment in advance.  It is terrible I need to change to another practice.  Does anyone recommend another GP practise please.  It is very stressful trying to get through on the phone and the apps are even worse.  I just checked the website and noticed that the latest inspection in October/November 2023 grades the GP practice as Requires Improvement in several areas.   I never noticed that before. But I am not surprised.   Plus they quote themselves as booking advance appointments. Which is a total untruthful statement.  

Has Helen Hayes replied? If there was ever a reason for an MP to get involved surely this is it?

How is it that a bunch of profiteering wide boys were handed TJ on a plate? I am surprised this has not hit the press big time.

I've written to Helen Hayes and would encourage everyone to do so.

I have tried for 3+ weeks for an appointment - including going in in person. I was told there is a staff shortage, to call 111 and they would assign a doctor so I could be seen thru the other side - by the for hire doctors that the other side of Tessa Jowell has spaces for. It is obviously to the advantage of doctors to work ad hoc for more money but this makes for a broken system.

1 hour ago, Otto2 said:

I've written to Helen Hayes and would encourage everyone to do so.

I have tried for 3+ weeks for an appointment - including going in in person. I was told there is a staff shortage, to call 111 and they would assign a doctor so I could be seen thru the other side - by the for hire doctors that the other side of Tessa Jowell has spaces for. It is obviously to the advantage of doctors to work ad hoc for more money but this makes for a broken system.

Are you able to get a phone appt and not a face to face or is it both?  The last doctor I saw face to face was one of the for hire doctors you mentioned on the right hand side of the reception area. That was December 2022. 

Sorry - I did not ring 111 - I was just explaining that the practice said I should call 111 and get an appointment that way with the ad hoc non-practice doctors who do not work for the practice rather than use them. Which is ridiculous.

56 minutes ago, Otto2 said:

Sorry - I did not ring 111 - I was just explaining that the practice said I should call 111 and get an appointment that way with the ad hoc non-practice doctors who do not work for the practice rather than use them. Which is ridiculous.

Yes, it’s ridiculous, but you should do what they say and see if it works.  Record the conversation.

The bonkers thing about TJ is it the GPs if you get referred via 111 have no contact with the GPs you get if it sent from your GP practice. Right down to your records. 

1 hour ago, alice said:

The bonkers thing about TJ is it the GPs if you get referred via 111 have no contact with the GPs you get if it sent from your GP practice. Right down to your records. 

Don't seldoc/111 refer you to kings A&E? I had an infected finger a couple of years ago and was pretty sure all i needed was a course of antibiotics, but 111 still referred me to King's where I had to wait hours to get them. Has the system changed? 

12 hours ago, sandyman said:

Don't seldoc/111 refer you to kings A&E? I had an infected finger a couple of years ago and was pretty sure all i needed was a course of antibiotics, but 111 still referred me to King's where I had to wait hours to get them. Has the system changed? 

Well, they may still refer to Kings, but  not in my case. The second GP I went to see couldn’t find any record of my previous visit, but when I told her I’d got the appointment at TJ via my GP she said oh that’s the other corridor. The two corridors that come off the waiting room are completely separate services that’s what I was told. Bonkers as I said. 

The TJ Health Centre houses:  (1)  TJGP   (2) the Extended Primary Care Service (EPCS)  (3) SELDOC (8pm-8am GP service).   I think NHS Direct 111 can most likely try to arrange appointments with or direct callers to any of these primary care services if they see a pressing need. 

EPCS exists to provide all the South Southwark GP practices with daytime backup and other services as needed.  See https://www.ihlsouthwark.co.uk/.   They're not TJGP locums.

The EPCS has the same waiting area as TJGP, though apparently different receptionists and channels.  The last two times I requested a TJGP appointment via AskMyGP I was given a return phone call from TJGP, offering an appointment with an EPCS clinician.  For one of these I had to see a receptionist on the left hand side of their area to report in, and then one in the bit facing forward to get a blood test form from TJGP.  When I checked a couple of weeks ago, there was at least a handwritten sign directing people from any other practice to the LH side.

Both services are in the same building, but they refuse to communicate, so if there isn't a free GP, they tell you to call 111 to be able to see the SELDOC. For me I knew what I had, I knew the prescription I needed - a GP would have been able to sort it out in a matter of a minute or less. Instead they advised me to go to King's A&E. The idea was that TJ was supposed to be a community service - providing local amenities so we did not need to go to A&E and sit there for 14 hrs just for a prescription for antibiotics. It should have all been an in-house, non-profit service with seamless connections, GPs, physios, nurse-led clinics, pharmacist-led clinics and diagnostics on-site - we were even promised a minors and minor surgery. A wasted opportunity and now a service not fit for purpose. 

I am expected to receive a written response for my complaint with the ICB on April 23rd 2024. I am not really expecting any major changes, other than escalating the complaint again. I notice the Practice manager is no longer responding to comments on this forum. 

There is also alot of one star reviews on the NHS review website. these reviews. These issues seem to be going on to at least January 2024. Look for yourself:

Ratings and reviews - Tessa Jowell GP Surgery - NHS (www.nhs.uk)