Anyone experiencing even greater issues securing a GP appointment with Tessa Jowell GP practice?

I had the self-same experience with TJ over the past 12 days with viral gastroenteritis which resolved but morphed into bronchitis/asthma (viruses invariably trigger asthma attacks with me).  AskmyGP doesn't work, the emergency phone line takes forever to be answered and then you are told there are no appointments that day and the only option is to start the Kafkaesque Askmy GP routine at 8am the next day or call 111. (if you're stupid enough to hit 1 to request a call back don't expect anything of the kind. I tried on 2 separate days and no-one bothered to call back).

On 21 Feb I tried for the last time to get an appointment via AskmyGP. It opened at 8am and I started to fill in the form only for it to close 30 seconds later saying there were no more appointments. This was before 8.01am.

I then called 306 and they picked up promptly. I asked if I could be seen that day if I filled in the online transfer and they said they would try. I was lucky enough to see a very nice GP later that day and was given the medication I need.

I've left a review on the NHS website and made a complaint to the Practice Manager which I may now send to Helen Hayes. It seems to me a total abrogation of their duty of care to their patients.

I have copied this from the other post about TJ.. make sure you complain to the correct organisation as there have been recent changes in NHS England.

If anyone wants to complain about GP services, the newly set up South East London ICS (transferring from the old CCG) is the place to go - they commission local services (so they are the ones paying the s**t show company for the terrible GP 'service' at Tessa Jowell)

You can make a complaint verbally, in writing or by email. If you wish to complain about a hospital, community or mental health provider please contact those directly. If you have any comment or complaint regarding the commissioning of a service please contact the Patient Experience Team at:

Email: [email protected]
Tel: 0800 328 9712 or 0208 176 5337

https://www.selondonics.org

Andrew Bland is the CEO... there is a whole website dedicated on how to complain by going straight to the CEO, I have used this tactic before with excellent results, takes a bit of time and one needs to write a very polite and professional letter in order to have impact.

On 23/02/2024 at 20:43, Slocky said:

I had the self-same experience with TJ over the past 12 days with viral gastroenteritis which resolved but morphed into bronchitis/asthma (viruses invariably trigger asthma attacks with me).  AskmyGP doesn't work, the emergency phone line takes forever to be answered and then you are told there are no appointments that day and the only option is to start the Kafkaesque Askmy GP routine at 8am the next day or call 111. (if you're stupid enough to hit 1 to request a call back don't expect anything of the kind. I tried on 2 separate days and no-one bothered to call back).

On 21 Feb I tried for the last time to get an appointment via AskmyGP. It opened at 8am and I started to fill in the form only for it to close 30 seconds later saying there were no more appointments. This was before 8.01am.

I then called 306 and they picked up promptly. I asked if I could be seen that day if I filled in the online transfer and they said they would try. I was lucky enough to see a very nice GP later that day and was given the medication I need.

I've left a review on the NHS website and made a complaint to the Practice Manager which I may now send to Helen Hayes. It seems to me a total abrogation of their duty of care to their patients.

Good for you and it’s incredible that you got an appt for the same day.

35 minutes ago, OutOfFocus said:

Thanks for posting that. I had no idea they had/have physiotherapy (nor the Foot Health place) there. I was offered an appointment at either Guy’s or at a place in Brixton.  I know that the old Dulwich hospital had physiotherapy before they closed.

4 hours ago, Froglander said:

Thanks for posting that. I had no idea they had/have physiotherapy (nor the Foot Health place) there. I was offered an appointment at either Guy’s or at a place in Brixton.  I know that the old Dulwich hospital had physiotherapy before they closed.

I think there are physio departments in several locations.  I don't know what the difference is.

I've been to Tessa Jowell, but also Shakespeare Road, plus Willowfield for hand therapy.  Possibly others which I've forgotten. One was associated with my GP in some way - I got an appointment the day after I phoned 😮

14 hours ago, Sue said:

I think there are physio departments in several locations.  I don't know what the difference is.

I've been to Tessa Jowell, but also Shakespeare Road, plus Willowfield for hand therapy.  Possibly others which I've forgotten. One was associated with my GP in some way - I got an appointment the day after I phoned 😮

Yes, I need to phone the GP office as they were the ones who referred me.  Will also phone Guy’s Hospital where I am supposed to attend.  

1 hour ago, Froglander said:

Yes, I need to phone the GP office as they were the ones who referred me.  Will also phone Guy’s Hospital where I am supposed to attend.  

Yes, there is a physio department at Guys as well. It's all very confusing!

I called the surgery on Tuesday morning.

I must’ve fallen asleep whilst waiting for them to answer.

when I woke up again, I checked my call record.

I had been on the call from 8am, for 1hr & 41mins!

and I still don’t know if they answered or not!

currently on another call to them, waiting for an answer……….

so far 37mins & waiting……….

will update shortly…….  I expect to be cut off conveniently or appointments all gone for the day

lets see…..

The Tesssa Jowell surgery is not fit for purpose. It's an APPALLING service.  Have been trying ALL week to get an appointment for my daughter who has been ill all week. Have had all the same issues with the Evergreen app that other users have experienced here.  It truly is like something out of Kafka.  And completely insane that you only get a one minute window to make an appointment (once you've filled out the questions the message pops up that all appointments have gone).  No-one phones back if you press 1 either.  Have now seen a message today that the surgery is closed due to staff sickness!! SERIOUSLY?!

And just to say STILL waiting for a GP to call me back 2 weeks after receiving a text saying they want to speak to me about blood test results. I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by Rokit2022

25 minutes ago, Rokit2022 said:

The Tesssa Jowell surgery is not fit for purpose. It's an APPALLING service.  Have been trying ALL week to get an appointment for my daughter who has been ill all week. Have had all the same issues with the Evergreen app that other users have experienced here.  It truly is like something out of Kafka.  And completely insane that you only get a one minute window to make an appointment (once you've filled out the questions the message pops up that all appointments have gone).  No-one phones back if you press 1 either.  Have now seen a message today that the surgery is closed due to staff sickness!! SERIOUSLY?!

And just to say STILL waiting for a GP to call me back 2 weeks after receiving a text saying they want to speak to me about blood test results. I'm not holding my breath.

So sorry to hear this. I’ve had the same problem with pressing 1 as well.  Have you tried emailing the surgery?  And yes, they are extremely bad at contacting patients to follow up test results in a timely manner. Last time this happened to me, I was told that I had to get an appointment through the usual methods to discuss with a GP.  Also, I’ve had random phone calls from a GP when I’ve not expected one.  

My partner and I both received unsolicited texts from Tessa Jowell recently asking us to go to a local chemist to have a blood pressure test and then submit the results. Anybody else had this? What was that all about? Weirdly we live at the same address but were told to go to different pharmacies in opposite directions!

even though I sent a email to the surgery's inbox, no one has bothered to contact me. I have now escalated my complaint to the ICB. Last Friday i contacted the surgery. I called exactly at 8am as they advised. After waiting for 40 minutes on the telephone, the call disconnected. I made another call and waited over an hour. I went onto their mygp website, it said that service was closed due to staff sickness, but oddly enough allowed me to request pills. I requested them, and received a message informing me, my request had been closed, and would be addressed when the system was up and running again. I drove to the practice, still on hold, even showed the reception staff that i had been holding for option 1, for 1hr 10 minutes. Reception staff told me, there was no appointments today and only one person was manning the phones. There website informs they have over 14000 registered patience.  

I sent another email to complain about the shocking service. I received a call from a angry admin officer informing me I had an appointment today. No one told me. My complaint is now with the ICB. as a group, we must complain to ensure the service improves. There rating regarding their last inspection is not great either. 

On 01/03/2024 at 16:10, sandyman said:

My partner and I both received unsolicited texts from Tessa Jowell recently asking us to go to a local chemist to have a blood pressure test and then submit the results. Anybody else had this? What was that all about? Weirdly we live at the same address but were told to go to different pharmacies in opposite directions!

I received similar. I called them. They said it was computer generated.   I had had a normal blood pressure reading two weeks ago at a hospital. I told them this. They said they needed to know the exact reading.  I think there must be ££ related to this.

2 hours ago, Froglander said:

I received similar. I called them. They said it was computer generated.   I had had a normal blood pressure reading two weeks ago at a hospital. I told them this. They said they needed to know the exact reading.  I think there must be ££ related to this.

yes, although if they get lots of readings that require further investigation how on earth are they going to cope if they are so snowed under already. Maybe they will nudge people in the direction of private treatment and some will take up the offer - I've noticed when using health apps recently - possibly evergreen but I can't be sure – there seem to be private options popping up for routine health checks which I'd never noticed before.

On 29/02/2024 at 08:40, sweetgirl said:

I called the surgery on Tuesday morning.

I must’ve fallen asleep whilst waiting for them to answer.

when I woke up again, I checked my call record.

I had been on the call from 8am, for 1hr & 41mins!

and I still don’t know if they answered or not!

currently on another call to them, waiting for an answer……….

so far 37mins & waiting……….

will update shortly…….  I expect to be cut off conveniently or appointments all gone for the day

lets see…..

Did you get through and get an appointment?

I should be receiving a response to my complaint from the ICS. My complaint submitted at the beginning of February has not been acknowledged or even replied to. Absolute terrible service. I intend to follow the complaints process until i see urgent changes. This company is receiving alot of money.  

On 05/03/2024 at 10:40, Froglander said:

Did you get through and get an appointment?

Ok so….. I called 3 mornings last week.

tuesday, Thursday & Friday.

all at 8 am as stated by them.

Tuesday was about 1hr 41mins, second on Thursday 1hr 23mins on Friday 1hr 2mins.

Believe it or not they actually answered me on Friday!

only to tell me they had no appointments 🤔😒

they do this all the time, tell you to ring at 8am then when they decide to answer you…… they have no appointments left!

for the majority of us, it’s a waste of time!

anyway, I had a chest infection for almost a week, I called 111 on Friday & was given, what I understood to be one of two remaining appointments.

so yes I was seen, no thanks to the surgery itself!

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/07751362/officers

ok so, if you check out the above you should see how & by whom the surgery is running!

its nothing more than a money maker, they have no plans to provide a service!

I struggle to understand exactly what the government are paying for!

on a serious level though, could we guys potentially come together & make a complaint?

im sure many others are prepared to come onboard to……

how about media attention?

we need to act fast, it’ll be a matter of time before they conveniently go bankrupt,

any opinions?

anyone prepared to take the lead?

Another link to check out

https://www.nhsforsale.info/private-providers/concordia-health-new/

This company are making millions 

tried to secure another appointment on their online service.

Was logged on at 7:55am this morning. at 8:00am the appointments were opened. Started completing the form for an appointment. at 8:05am, the online service is closed. found the following times available for the online service advertised below. I am now convicted they have a real issue with clinical staffing. the service is a joke. I will add this experience to my existing complaint with ICB. how is this practice allowed to get away with this?

Tessa Jowell GP Surgery (Off

Service Times

Monday08:00 - 08:10
Tuesday08:00 - 10:45
Wednesday08:00 - 08:10
Thursday08:00 - 08:10
Friday08:00 - 08:00

Google Dr Simon Fradd and you begin to see what this man and his city boy mates have done long-term to our GP practices (nationwide, not just locally). He was behind Concordia and the drive towards super GP Practices; medical telecare, no GP surgery on Saturdays and so it goes on.

Those within the various healthcare Trusts would have known his record, he is/was a big wheel within the GMC and yet, it seems, he and his mates were handed the Tessa Jowell GP practice on a plate.

Whilst I have no brief for this practice I believe it was an existing practice, which was physically close to the Centre which transferred into it, so it may have been logistics and proximity rather than any business preference which drove the decision. It seems clear that the service, and I use that word quite wrongly, that they offer is derisory and shameful. 

5 hours ago, trinidad said:

tried to secure another appointment on their online service.

Was logged on at 7:55am this morning. at 8:00am the appointments were opened. Started completing the form for an appointment. at 8:05am, the online service is closed. found the following times available for the online service advertised below. I am now convicted they have a real issue with clinical staffing. the service is a joke. I will add this experience to my existing complaint with ICB. how is this practice allowed to get away with this?

Tessa Jowell GP Surgery (Off

Service Times

Monday08:00 - 08:10
Tuesday08:00 - 10:45
Wednesday08:00 - 08:10
Thursday08:00 - 08:10
Friday08:00 - 08:00

This is terrible.  Have you tried calling instead of using the online service? From info posted on here, the online service was invented by the owners of the practice. They’ve changed names so many times I can’t remember which company.  Wonder how many other medical practices use it.

4 hours ago, Penguin68 said:

Whilst I have no brief for this practice I believe it was an existing practice, which was physically close to the Centre which transferred into it, so it may have been logistics and proximity rather than any business preference which drove the decision. It seems clear that the service, and I use that word quite wrongly, that they offer is derisory and shameful. 

They joined forces and merged with another practice to get the premises. The other practice was called The Hambledon Clinic and it wasn’t particularly close. They took on some of their staff.  This happened before the new clinic was built. It meant that both sets of patients automatically became registered at Tessa Jowell.  I do not know how many patients were at each practice previously.   Does anyone know how many patients are registered there now?  I believe they are still accepting new patients.

Edited by Froglander

Tessa Jowell Gp Surgery has total of 14298 registered patients as per Patient Online Management Information (POMI) system as on 30-Sep-22

I called the surgery at 1pm today. I was on hold for 55 minutes before the call was answered. Tomorrow I am going to log on and call at the same time.