Garden fence height in sloping garden

kiyoaki

Our back garden slopes downwards at a steep incline. A 6foot fence panel can be 2foot lower than the preceding one where they meet. It’s a nightmare for keeping out foxes etc. what are the rules for how high you are allowed to go with fence or trellis or nets / wire fences ? Thanks !

If I were you I'd keep the fence heights as they are and see what you can do to repel the foxes. They'll soon learn to go elsewhere if it's too difficult to scale the fence. 

9 minutes ago, SpringTime said:

If I were you I'd keep the fence heights as they are and see what you can do to repel the foxes. They'll soon learn to go elsewhere if it's too difficult to scale the fence. 

Or if your garden has nothing of interest, or something to drive them away. 

3 hours ago, SpringTime said:

Vinegar seems to work. A few years ago we had a real fox problem, and I was told human urine is good. Thing is, it smells and seems you need a lot of it. Some vinegar along your perimeter should help. They've hundreds of other gardens to prowl.

5 hours ago, SpringTime said:

Vinegar seems to work. A few years ago we had a real fox problem, and I was told human urine is good. Thing is, it smells and seems you need a lot of it. Some vinegar along your perimeter should help. They've hundreds of other gardens to prowl.

I can pee in your garden when I drive around and in need of a loo 

On 24/02/2024 at 20:21, SpringTime said:

how often do you spray it ? there is a lot of fence and i feel like they don't walk up to our garden - they generally just jump/fly in without really checkig it out beforehand

Suggest you get come Correx eg from an old estate agents sign and cut it into 50mm wide strips. Then get some carpet tacks (15mm long) 

Push the carpet tacks into and through the Correx at 25mm intervals so that the sharp ends stick upwards. Then attach the strip to the top of your fence where it is lowest. It  doesnt injure them. It just makes it uncomfortable for them and they soon learn.

16 minutes ago, vladi said:

Suggest you get come Correx eg from an old estate agents sign and cut it into 50mm wide strips. Then get some carpet tacks (15mm long) 

Push the carpet tacks into and through the Correx at 25mm intervals so that the sharp ends stick upwards. Then attach the strip to the top of your fence where it is lowest. It  doesnt injure them. It just makes it uncomfortable for them and they soon learn.

thanks! i was thinking how to create the spiked things myself as have seen some online but expensive once you calculate how much you need!

1 hour ago, vladi said:

Push the carpet tacks into and through the Correx at 25mm intervals so that the sharp ends stick upwards. Then attach the strip to the top of your fence where it is lowest. It  doesnt injure them. It just makes it uncomfortable for them and 

That's a great idea. Couple that with some daily vinegar spraying and it should deter them. You should then be able to spray just weekly as a reminder to foxes that they're not welcome in your garden. 

On 26/02/2024 at 10:43, kiyoaki said:

thanks! i was thinking how to create the spiked things myself as have seen some online but expensive once you calculate how much you need!

The ones you get on line are not effective as they are blunt and Fox's pads are very thick and tough.
Blue carpet tacks are effective whist not doing any damage - just a brief sharp prick that makes them think twice!