Food poisoning at Dugard & Daughters - twice!

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else has suffered from food poisoning after eating chicken from Dugard & Daughters in HH?

My wife and I have been sick twice in about a month. First it was after eating spatchcock chicken, we felt sick shortly after eating it and threw the rest away. 

We still went back last weekend and go chicken thigh fillets. Once cooked, we noticed they tasted “gamey”, sort of like duck but it was clearly chicken and not something I’ve experienced before. 

This morning both of us felt sick. I hard a tough time on the toilet, my wife vomited all day and we’re now in A&E as she’s in a lot of pain. 

Archie, can you explain more about the circumstances 

You bought the chicken thighs at the weekend (Saturday or Sunday) and cooked and ate it Tuesday from what I am reading.  So sorry to hear its made you ill, hope you are feeling better now. 

There is a possibility that you were unlucky twice but probability says if you were then others were as well over the last month so environmental health would have recorded that fact. 

Another possibility is your fridge may not be functioning correctly and the chicken was stored at the wrong temperature, might be worth using a fridge thermometer to rule that one out and prevent other potential problems. 

I'm assuming you cooked it for the correct time so let's dismiss that for the moment. 

Are there any other factors that may have affected the chickens quality ? 

If nothing you can think off then talk to environmental health and get them to check the business, did you keep any of the thighs as evidence as that makes it easier to trace? 

Edited by Spartacus

Making such a direct insinuation/accusation against a named retailer is clearly defamatory and damaging to the retailer's reputation. It will be considered by many to be libellous.

Spartacus has rightly said there are many variables and other factors to be taken into account when cooking chicken.  It is good policy to consider such factors before making direct such implications.

Chicken when it is on 'the turn' smells 'off' so easy to detect. When i get chicken thighs (off the bone and skinless) I cook within 24-48 hours, Cooked chicken keeps better so purchased on Saturday, cooked either Sunday or Monday morning and safe to eat. Did tests in A & E show food poisoning?

Another to consider is if when you purchased them, the chicken was kept in a sealed plastic bag as that will definitely contribute to them going of. I always wrap meat lightly in greaseproof paper and store it at the bottom of the fridge.  Just an idea. Hope you are feeling better. 

On 29/02/2024 at 20:35, vladi said:

Making such a direct insinuation/accusation against a named retailer is clearly defamatory and damaging to the retailer's reputation. It will be considered by many to be libellous.

Spartacus has rightly said there are many variables and other factors to be taken into account when cooking chicken.  It is good policy to consider such factors before making direct such implications.

It's not libel. I am reporting my experience and asking if anyone else has experienced the same.

The purpose of this website is all about sharing positive and negative recommendations of local businesses and traders. 

On 29/02/2024 at 20:19, Spartacus said:

Archie, can you explain more about the circumstances 

You bought the chicken thighs at the weekend (Saturday or Sunday) and cooked and ate it Tuesday from what I am reading.  So sorry to hear its made you ill, hope you are feeling better now. 

There is a possibility that you were unlucky twice but probability says if you were then others were as well over the last month so environmental health would have recorded that fact. 

Another possibility is your fridge may not be functioning correctly and the chicken was stored at the wrong temperature, might be worth using a fridge thermometer to rule that one out and prevent other potential problems. 

I'm assuming you cooked it for the correct time so let's dismiss that for the moment. 

Are there any other factors that may have affected the chickens quality ? 

If nothing you can think off then talk to environmental health and get them to check the business, did you keep any of the thighs as evidence as that makes it easier to trace? 

Chicken was cooked through, I always check it. It was kept in the sealed styrofoam tray in the fridge at 4 degrees. I even have a separate little thermometer inside my fridge to be sure the temperature is in the right place.

I haven't kept the leftovers, and threw the second packet (which I had frozen) away. 

I may well be very unlucky, but being sick twice after eating chicken from there has certainly put me off. My wife is pregnant and I just don't want to take the risk. It's a shame as I like the shop and make a point of using independents (I haven't bought meat, fish or veg in a supermarket in 2+. years). I will shop for meat in Ginger Pig, William Rose and Flock & Herd. 

On 28/02/2024 at 20:11, ArchieCarlos said:

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else has suffered from food poisoning after eating chicken from Dugard & Daughters in HH?

My wife and I have been sick twice in about a month. First it was after eating spatchcock chicken, we felt sick shortly after eating it and threw the rest away. 

If , as you say, you both have been sick twice from eating poultry in the last month, then I would suggest that your storage and cooking  procedures should be reviewed.  Food poisoning is very, very rare. I havnt hand an incidence in the last 20 years.

On 28/02/2024 at 20:11, ArchieCarlos said:

Hi,

We still went back last weekend and go chicken thigh fillets. Once cooked, we noticed they tasted “gamey”, sort of like duck but it was clearly chicken and not something I’ve experienced before. 

This morning both of us felt sick. I hard a tough time on the toilet, my wife vomited all day and we’re now in A&E as she’s in a lot of pain. 

When did you eat the meat? Because food poisoning usually happens within six hours of eating something. Any longer and I'd venture you've caught a gastric virus, or consumed some food carrying bacteria that was fecal-orally transferred. 

Pugwash, I'm pretty sure food poisoning wouldn't show up in tests. 

I would also give the shop a call and tell them. It may be it's not connected to anything you bought there, but any business worth its salt would want to be informed so it can carry out the necessary investigations. 

Edited by HeadNun

• 1 month later...

I found this post after we just had to throw away £14 of chicken thighs from Dugard in HH, and probably for the 3rd time. They were roasted thoroughly within an hour of purchase. But they came out of the oven smelling very woofy. 
We couldn't take a single bite, they were clearly off. Pizza for dinner it is then. Very disappointing. 

2 minutes ago, theweekend said:

I found this post after we just had to throw away £14 of chicken thighs from Dugard in HH, and probably for the 3rd time. They were roasted thoroughly within an hour of purchase. But they came out of the oven smelling very woofy. 
We couldn't take a single bite, they were clearly off. Pizza for dinner it is then. Very disappointing. 

If you thought they were off, would it not have been a good idea to have kept them rather than throwing them away, as evidence for Environmental Health or whoever? Or indeed the shop?

And do you mean this is the third time you have bought chicken from the same shop which has been off?

Have you told the shop? Why did you buy it again if you have twice previously had chicken from there which was off?

Have I misunderstood?

25 minutes ago, Sue said:

If you thought they were off, would it not have been a good idea to have kept them rather than throwing them away, as evidence for Environmental Health or whoever? Or indeed the shop?

And do you mean this is the third time you have bought chicken from the same shop which has been off?

Have you told the shop? Why did you buy it again if you have twice previously had chicken from there which was off?

Have I misunderstood?

I don't know how spoillable food can be used as evidence in whatever imaginary CSI scenario you are imagining. 

And yes, three times. One purchase was me, others were my partner. We don't check in with each other before buying meat. Twice we wrote it off as incidental. But now at three times it seems like a trend.

So the shop will be hearing from me. Though they won't ever see me again that's for sure. 

I'd be happy to field any other questions you may have Sue. Your opinion really matters to me. 

Please understand that I am not doubting the word of anyone who has posted here with problems with bought-in prepared meat, but (I am old) uncooked meat (perfectly 'good' meat) does smell often, we are too used to shrink wrapped and chilled supermarket meat which can be almost scent free - so we are surprised when 'butcher's' meat does smell (and often, if it is uncooked, quite strongly). Indeed game which is high can smell quite strongly, and not in a good way to our 21st C sensibilities, without being off - as in food poisoning off.

Certainly prepared meat, when cooked, should smell enticing, and not at all bad - so the experiences quoted above are certainly very worrying - but younger people reading this should not be concerned, particularly, if fresh (raw) meat they have bought from e.g. a proper butchers has a smell to it. Which is not to say that something which smells rank shouldn't be a point of complaint. Even the smell of high-ish game, if left unwrapped, should dissipate once unwrapped. If it increases however it may be  cause for concern. But raw beef or lamb in the joint can often smell of something which isn't necessarily particularly nice, without it being worrying. It will tend to cook with more flavour.

Edited by Penguin68

16 hours ago, theweekend said:

Are you the partner of ArchieCarlos, the original poster?

Something doesn't quite smell right here and probably it's not  the chicken.

Both the OP and TheWeekEnd specifically mention  chicken thigh fillets.

TWE purchased £14 worth of chicken thigh fillets and they were thrown away "probably for the third time".
£14 equates to around 12 fillets which is a lot. Could some have been frozen after purchase and then thawed? And thawed properly before cooking?
TWE has a total of 4 posts of which 3 are on this thread.

23 hours ago, theweekend said:

Did you eat the chicken from the first two purchases?  Did they smell before going into the oven? I’d definitely speak to the shop and also speak to Environmental Health at Lambeth - I think that is the borough that butcher is in. Hopefully ArchieCarlos will do the same.