Is there a viable alternative to Sadiq?

Spartacus

Earl, please, please, please take time to read what I have posted. Yes, according to the very report you linked to from TFL it shows (Page 16 Figure 7) that in 2022 cycling modal share decreased for trip-based mode shares  - look at the 2022 element of the chart.....as an overall percentage of all trips made cycling is decreasing due to the increase in bus, tube and overground trips.

This is not a desperate attempt to obfuscate but a desperate attempt to educate.....

Modeshare.jpg.58e85ff862b6879fbcd1a2132f046e70.jpg

No  Rocks. People travelling by bike account for 4.5 percent of all journeys made daily (‘mode share’) up from 3.6 percent in 2019 and the number of “stages” cycled has risen too, despite lower levels of commuting post pandemic. The 1.26m stages cycled daily is the equivalent of about a third of the trips on the entire tube network happening daily, or about a quarter of trips done on the bus network. This is an average for all of London. It’s almost certainly higher on Central London.

I know you don’t approve of cycle lanes or any other active travel measures. But please take it to your roads and transport section. You can pursue your crusade there and will no doubt enjoy the echo. You don’t need to spread this nonsense across the rest of the forum. 

IMG_5889.jpeg.1419f4cd264c1c6fafba537fa6ab7ed1.jpeg

Edited by Earl Aelfheah

I am not misrepresenting the figures (they are figures from a report you shared by you after all) - I was merely pointing out that you were selectively plucking graphs from the TFL report that validate your viewpoint and I selectively plucked some from the very same report that validated my viewpoint as well.

I am not against cycle lanes I am a frequent user of them - what I am against is groups spending millions and millions of taxpayers money on measures that clearly are not delivering against the stated objectives (Will Norman's 10x increase) and then their advocates selectively plucking and presenting stats to try and convince people that they are working. Like the City of London stats - according to the report detail all the investment in cycle infrastructure in and around the City delivered just a 2% increase in cycling compared to pre-pandemic levels - so how can anyone really claim it has been money well spent? This is why the pro-cycle lobby deflect and detract by saying "more bikes than cars in the City - hurrah success!" and why people like me look beyond the headlines to determine what is really happening. You might not like it, agree with it or are ever going to accept it some of the stats tell a different story to the one you are trying to tell!

I never get the chance to hear the echo as there are so many people on the pro-lobby who are more than willing to pile-on and scream at me to try to accuse me of misrepresenting this, that and the other and how I must be a fascist, Tory petrolhead because I dare to challenge their view!

I’m not posting graphs. That’s you. I have linked to the latest TfL report. Cycling modal share in London’s is not decreasing as you have claimed, it’s increased. People can read the report themselves. I have also posted the table from the report for those who can’t be bothered reading the whole report. It shows modal share specifically, by year:
IMG_5889.jpeg.082efa6304ecd1e7299cebc040cc6c43.jpeg

Edited by Earl Aelfheah

You know the graph I posted is from the very same TFL report you posted the table from....how come there are two conflicting items in the same TFL report......? 

Edited by Rockets

There isn’t. Perhaps you don’t understand what modal share is. I don’t know and I’m not that interested. Your statement that ‘cycling modal share in London’s is decreasing’, is wrong. More interesting (or perhaps not) is why you want it to be true. 

Edited by Earl Aelfheah

But the graph from the report I shared shows exactly that...that in 2022 cycling modal share declined due to increases in other forms of transport.

Whether I want it to be true or not is irrelevant...you called me out for suggesting cycling modal share was declining and then you shared a TFL report that shows exactly that (but I also acknowledged it validated your position as well in another chart) - you could have accepted that and we could have agreed to disagree but you have decided to double down and deny that the graph I drew your attention to validates my position. 

Nice picture snowy.  Thread's become a little sidetracked on the uptake of cycling, prompted no doubt by my earlier post on the increase of cycleways under the current mayor.  I'm keen on this, but will perhaps set up a separate thread on the transport section as feels more relevant there. I've got some funny/worrying stuff from Reform that I'd be happy to discuss further, but it is late and I am up early in the morning.  Funnily enough cycling to Paddington and on from there.  I'll shut up now.  Good night all.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say much like the HIGNFY episode where a tub of lard or margerine replaced Roy Hattersley anything such as a tree or a cheese sandwich would be better than The Khan't

He is merely a WEF advocate parachuting NetZero policies into the city without any accountability to attack motorists & personal freedom of movement.

He has signed up to this group ...or rather he has signed London up to this group but of course with the MSM also controlled by the same corporate & political interests it doesn't get mentioned.

https://www.c40.org/about-c40/

I'm all for some cycling but like many others I want to be able to drive a car inside and outside the city when it's convenient to me.

20mph speed limits do not reduce emissions and there is far worse air on the underground than on the roads. And also bus travel is not always that much fun either. In rush hour they are crammed but in the middle of the day they seem on perpetual go slow "to even out the service" as you get told when asking.

God alone know where London is headed under his tinpot dictatorial leadership.

Apologies for any offence caused by comparing The Khan't to a cheese sandwich or tub or margerine, I wouldn't want to offend a cheese sandwich or margerine with the comparison

Edited by shuntman

On 10/03/2024 at 18:22, alice said:

There is no party or person popular enough to beat Sadiq Khan.  The press give him a very very hard time but the polls and the betting odds show he is invincible.  I say keep the London mayor, but get rid of these local borough mayors. 

London is a labour voting city so i guess we'll always get a mayor that comes from the labour party. I'm not all that fond of Sadiq but i think he does get a rough ride at times when he's bound by budgets and rules that are set down by central government. He gets a lot of stick and blame for LTN's and Ulez when i think the truth is these measures would be happening regardless of who is mayor. They are happening in many parts of Europe. I suppose it suits the Tories to have him in charge and someone to blame for all our transport ills. Bozo the clown was mayor when much of what's happening now was implemented but that seems to be conveniently overlooked by many.

In terms of comparing the Mayor with a tub of margarine that is trivial and at least the shelf life will be longer than a lettuce.  But elsewhere he is getting hate crime from I expect mainly white, often older, often outer borough, predominantly males I expect.  Their ancestors fought two world wars to let us continue to vote our politicians in and out at the ballot box.  Not through vile memes.  To be clear no accusations against anyone on this website, but pleased I left nextdoor.com 

Edited by malumbu

56 minutes ago, malumbu said:

But elsewhere he is getting hate crime from I expect mainly white, often older, often outer borough, predominantly males I expect.  Their descendants fought two world wars to let us continue to vote our politicians in and out at the ballot box.  Not through vile memes.  To be clear no accusations against anyone on this website, but pleased I left nextdoor.com 

That's very judgemental Mal, do you have proof of the demographics you are citing or is that just personal opinion 🤔

I heard a while ago that he's called Selfie Sid as he's always taking every photo opportunity he can, and after I heard that I can't stop laughing when I see him posing for a photo with someone famous. 

Well this was a few years ago, before the threats ramped up. But I'm sure he'd be able to walk a dog without three sets of wheels - he could still have CPOs to keep an eye out. More important people / bigger targets have been able to walk pets before without a three-car, diesel convoy. 

Edited by HeadNun

Good heavens I expect that millions drive their dogs for a walk, less than four miles, when there are closer places to go, I know two people who do this and the Mail hasn't reported them.  It's a nasty paper, preaching to thiose who wont be voting Labour in any case.  All a bit desperate and pathetic.  He can answer to the GLA members not the media.

Actually this one is quite appealing:

It's a shame earlier commitments were not kept in particular:

48 minutes ago, malumbu said:

Good heavens I expect that millions drive their dogs for a walk, less than four miles, when there are closer places to go, I know two people who do this and the Mail hasn't reported them.  It's a nasty paper, preaching to thiose who wont be voting Labour in any case.  All a bit desperate and pathetic.  He can answer to the GLA members not the media.

Your friends probably haven't been papped driving their dogs because they aren't in the public eye.

It tickles me, not a little, that a climate warrior is defending a man taking three cars to walk a dog. If the Guardian had run the article I'm sure you'd have been up in arms. The story was everywhere and the facts speak for themselves. How is he setting a good example? It just looks like one rule for him and everyone else can do as they're told. 

There are plenty of PMs and MPs (who I'm sure have also received death threats) often papped running / walking their dogs without a gas-guzzling convoy in tow. 

And Khan isultimately answerable to the public, with the media holding him to account.

What he did to Cressida Dick over the Charing Cross officers was fairly well hushed up and pretty appalling. I have no time for the man - he's far too concerned with how he and his work is perceived, over actually being effective. 

Cress has a pretty chequered history.

He is accountable to GLA members, and the public, ultimately through the ballot box.

The Mail can go stuff itself

Do you have a viable alternative?  Like it or not he will win. Angry old men who don't live in London will not have a great effect.

Edited by malumbu