Free swift nest box & installation in SE22

I’ve added a few more roads (17/3) - 

Posting on behalf of my husband so please respond to his email - 

The Dulwich Society is funding a nest box project in East Dulwich to help swifts. They are a declining species, largely because they are losing places to nest when they visit in summer. 

We will be supplying and putting up 20 nest boxes in the area for free. The installation (probably in April) will be completed by https://dlongroofing.com who have kindly donated a day of their time. 

As we have a limited number of boxes, we are going to concentrate on the roads that are swift hotspots. 

Please let me know by email if you would like one installed and live on one of the following roads: 

1. The north end of Friern Road from Underhill Rd to the park
2. Bawdale Road
3. Fellbrigg Rd
4. Hansler Rd
5. Shawbury Rd
6. Silvester Rd near Barry Road
7. Crystal Palace Rd between The Actress and GP

8. Ulverscroft Rd

9. Heber Rd

10. Rodwell Rd 

11.Pellatt Rd

We will then visit your home on the weekend of the 23/24 March (am) to check that your property is suitable for a box and to agree a location. It will need to be free from trees/overhead wires, be under the eaves, at the front of your home for ease of access/installation and no higher than two stories as we will be using a ladder.

I hope there are 20 people who want to help swifts in East Dulwich, but if we are over subscribed then priority will be given to the homes with the most suitable locations.  

Many thanks 

Steven Robinson 
[email protected] (please include your address when you contact me)

Edited by DawnSE22
Adding extra info

Good stuff.  However I made my own, hung it in an appropriate place two years ago, but no swifts to date.  I've heard of someone doing similar with an audio device for attracting swifts.  But again no luck.  Great for advice.

I often see swifts over my house and garden in the Summer (Ulverscroft Road) but sadly the front of my house isn't suitable for a swift box.

I did once investigate putting one up at the back myself, but I never got round to it, and unfortunately it's not very high on my present list of priorities 🙄

I do hope someone else nearby will have one installed. Fingers crossed!

Dawn, back to my earlier question, how do you actually attract swifts to your nest box?  I know that they have lost habitat, this is not just in the UK, ie where they originate from and their stopping points on their route.  I see a small number above Horniman, and in the Forest Hill/Sydenham area.  I was by the River Lee last summer and it was lovely seeing them swooping low - something I've not seen in SE London

RSPB publish some good advice - I used this to build my own and I have posted the relevant section.  Not knocking your good work I hasten to add 😃

"It’s not guaranteed that Swifts will find your box, but you can boost the chances by playing taped Swift calls via loudspeaker during the breeding season (May-July).

If you do manage to attract them, remember Swifts are sensitive to disturbance and protected by law, so watch the nest box from the ground or install a camera inside before the breeding season starts."

www.rspb.org.uk/helping-nature/what-you-can-do/activities/create-a-high-home-for-swifts

Posted (edited)

As you said, the quickest way to attract swifts which works really well is to play swift calls. 

This is what I did at my home. It’s best to get a player set up via a timer and play 7-12 and then last 2 hours before dark. 

Alternatively, Sparrows or other species using the box will also help to advertise it to swifts as a suitable nest space. 

There’s a box on Friern Rd which is being used by swifts, without call playing. 

https://www.swift-conservation.org/2014-06-21%20swiftcallsinstructions.pdf

http://actionforswifts.blogspot.com/p/attraction-call-systems-for-swifts.html?m=1

Edited by DawnSE22

One box is still available for installation on the 07/04 following a cancellation. You don’t have to be in for this, as it will be at the front and I will check suitability and agree on a location with you prior to installation. 

I’ve opened the offer up to a few more roads - 

1. The north end of Friern Road from Underhill Rd to the park
2. Bawdale Road
3. Fellbrigg Rd
4. Hansler Rd
5. Shawbury Rd
6. Silvester Rd 
7. Crystal Palace Rd between The Actress and Goodrich Road 

8. Ulverscroft Rd

9. Heber Rd

10. Rodwell Rd 

11.Pellatt Rd

12. Henslowe Road

13. Hindmans Road 

14. Lacon Rd

15. Goodrich Rd from Lordship Lane to the school 

The box will need to be free from trees/overhead wires, be under the eaves, at the front of your home for ease of access/installation and no higher than two stories as we will be using a ladder.

Please email me on

[email protected]