Granville House 61 Overhill Road

This is Granville House which was once 61 Overhill Road, the 'twin' house which was known as Springfield Mount is still standing as 63 Overhill. Does anyone on the forum have any further information or images of this house build around 1870, probably by Joseph Tall, a constructor of concrete houses. Jim

GranvilleHouse.jpg

Any information at all. I have been researching Joseph Tall for some time, at one point his son Joseph Mingay Tall was living at number 63 then known as Springfield Mount. I believe both houses were constructed with concrete for which father and son both held patents for this method of construction. I'd also be interested to discover when it was pulled down and why...

15 hours ago, Exoticaman said:

Any information at all. I have been researching Joseph Tall for some time, at one point his son Joseph Mingay Tall was living at number 63 then known as Springfield Mount. I believe both houses were constructed with concrete for which father and son both held patents for this method of construction. I'd also be interested to discover when it was pulled down and why...

It could be worth contacting the Local History Group within the Dulwich Society - they have a number of people that have undertaken research into area and may be able to assist.

Recent local history enquiries (2) (dulwichsociety.com)

Thanks for recent replies, I was unaware of the additional information that was available alongside the front of the postcard and this has added to my files. In reply to Sue, there is a link to the Concrete House on Lordship Lane. Charles Drake who built it, was previously employed by Joseph Tall. Tall lived in various other concrete houses in the vicinity and was probably responsible for their construction although there are no records to show this. There is a terrace of 5 concrete houses on Belvoir Road which face a further pair on the south side. Both Joseph Tall senior and his son Joseph Mingay Tall were living there in 1881 and JM Tall was at 1 Belvoir Road in 1873 when Drake moved into his newly built house 300 yards away....