Chicks and ducklings

My friends wife is a school teacher and they had some ducklings in eggs Last week at the school and they hatched my friends wife bought them home for weekend as they couldnt be left alone at the school and she was ment to take back to the school Monday but read the bottom of the letter that comes with the eggs and when they have hatched your ment to call the company who breeds them etc and they will collect ( they charge £30 per egg for the schools ) and when they collect them they take them back to wherever they come from and kill the baby ducklings by gassing them , she got upset and refused to take them back and has contacted an animal sanctuary who will pick them up this week from her house , as an animal lover I think that is absolutely discusting and if anyone's school has this sort of thing going on please get other parents together and get it stopped 

IMG-20240423-WA0045.jpg

1 minute ago, Mystic Mog said:

Very well done! I hope they have a lovely life.  What a terrible thing to do, have you told the rspca? 🦆

Apparently this company has been doing this for years and the schools pay £30 per egg , it's to teach the children how ducklings and chicks are born , personally I'm disgusted that schools would do that on the first place and disgusted with the company that does this , wondering if they do this with any other animals aswell

2 minutes ago, Mystic Mog said:

It's a very nasty thing to do and totally unnecessary.   Think how upset the children would be if they knew that and shame on schools who condone it.  Can you look in to it and see how it can be stopped?

I'm going to speak to my friends wife about it , she has already spoken to the headmaster at the school where she works and they have agreed with her to never do anything like this again , I know she is going to be contacting other schools and school board to make an official complaint etc

That is horrific.  I can't even believe that this a thing.  Really what planet do these so called humans live on...    It actually says that the little fluff balls will be gassed.    It should be illegal.  At least one person took the time to read the letter.   I am shocked.

Good that PETA is on it but can we add our voices to the fight against this horrible practice? I’m still shocked!

A petition maybe?

Happy to raise to the RSPCA but don’t want to duplicate efforts. I’ve signed campaigns from RSPCA before which sends it directly to your councillor

Edited by Smiley_blue_1234
Typo

3 hours ago, Smiley_blue_1234 said:

Good that PETA is on it but can we add our voices to the fight against this horrible practice? I’m still shocked!

A petition maybe?

Happy to raise to the RSPCA but don’t want to duplicate efforts. I’ve signed campaigns from RSPCA before which sends it directly to your councillor

That's a good idea smiley blue , if you or anyone else comes across petitions to end these despicable acts of cruelty to defenceless animals please put on here or start a new thread if you please so we can sign the petition and add our objections to this , I would also like to thank all of you the people for reading these messages and adding your voices to this cruelty,  maybe we can end it 

On 23/04/2024 at 07:05, tedfudge said:

and when they collect them they take them back to wherever they come from and kill the baby ducklings by gassing them ,

The alternative would be to let them free, to be predated on and without parents to teach them the necessities of survival. Clearly this is an unhelpful model of instruction, but, given the ducklings have been born and will not survive without parental care (unless they are hand reared in the school - which I doubt has the capacity of skill for this) then gassing them is the most 'humane' action. The school should perhaps have thought through what is the likely outcome for ducklings which are not being reared by either skilled farmers or ducks. I suspect that the duckings would not be saleable to farmers having been initially born and raised in circumstances which were not sterile for introduction into larger flocks. 

My son’s primary school hatched duck eggs, probably under this scheme around 12 years ago.  We were all very upset to hear that 2 of the (5 year old) boys had knocked the incubator over & all eggs smashed.

feeling a lot less sad about that now!  

Hmmm, millions of animals are killed each year to eat in this country.  10,000 animals (maybe many more) reared to be eaten by exotic pets, dissected by students, experimented on by cosmetic and medical companies.  Why is this any different?

Unless you have a vegan lifestyle most of us aren't in a position to judge.  I've not eaten meat for years, try not to buy leather and other animal products as much as possible but don't read every label, and have to live with the fact that for every female chick bred to (unaturally) lay eggs for me to eat, there will be male that is likely top be slaughtered, ditto for the cow/milk machines - again unnatural.

I wasn't aware that there was this sort of market, but there must be a demand for it and doubt if it is breaking any sort of law.

Happy to be proved wrong on anything and everything.