Nutters who do 3 point turns on Champion Park

I commute from Denmark Hill Station and without fail I see at least two (different) drivers a week attempt three point turns on Champion Park road (the road which runs in front of the Salvation Army and the new entrance to the station. A lot of these turns are done nearer the very sharp bend where cars bomb around. It's such a dangerous manoeuvre to attempt and have seen one accident happen as a a result - I'm sure there will be more.

Why do so many people do this? I don't understand why so many would need to do it - the traffic wait isn't that long and very few are turning round to get down Grove Lane.

I do this journey daily to work, if Denmark Hill is blocked then the traffic builds up to Dog Kennel Hill and it had taken me as long as 20 minutes to get from the lights at DKH to the lights by Denmark hill station. It is very tempting to do a 3 point turn down Grove Lane. I have done it a couple of times but I have a clear view of the traffic in the opposite direction and also to a certain extent those behind me. . The only way I can get to my work is via Windsor Walk and Grove lane ( my base is in Love Walk). If I want to spend another 10 - 15 mins waiting in traffic, I could go into Denmark Hill and then De Crespigney park.

Hi pugwash

Thanks for your reply - I understand why you do this manoeuvre but it is very risky. Some drivers might not be as wary as you about the traffic bombing around the corner. It's really heart in mouth stuff. One accident along this stretch of road saw a car go onto the pavement and uproot a (fairly young) tree. But, on another day it could be a person?

Myself, I haven't seen people do the 3 point turn and turn off down Grove Lane - they tend to go back towards Dog Kennel Hill. But there is a problem of access to that area near Love Walk/De Crespigny - not sure what the solution is.

Bit confused by this thread.

Is there a 'no u-turn' sign on that road?

If not, shouldn't this thread be complaining about the arseholes that 'bomb' around a blind corner at high speed (remember that old pensioner who was run over there a year ago).

Who are the nutters?

I haven't seen a 'no u-turn' sign on that road but I might be wrong, either way people still do it. The drivers who drive quite quickly around the corner are the reckless ones. I just think the people who attempt 3 point turns are crazy for doing so because of the drivers who bomb around the corner - can't trust other drivers!

Yes, there have been about 3 or 4 accidents on this road in the past year, including that man who go knocked over and where flowers are still left in his memory.

I have noticed more and more lately drivers doing three point turns on main roads or in dangerous places.

In almost every case they could just drive a little way further on, take a right and either turn in a side road or depending on the road layout get back onto the main road without having to do a three point turn at all.

I realise that's not the case here, but the Champion Park drivers seem to be part of a wider trend :(

Watch out its not people practicing for the test :)

I had to do them hundreds of times - usually same road.

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> 3 point turns on busy roads are selfish and lazy.

> drive around the block FFS, or back into a

> drive/side road then pull-out to go the other way.

JohnL Wrote:

> Watch out its not people practicing for the test

> :)

>

> I had to do them hundreds of times - usually same

> road.

>

xxxxxx

Surely your driving instructor didn't have you doing three point turns on a main road?!?!?!?

No - but it was a road where loads of young children played - so hated it, was I was a boy (17) - trick was to know where everything spatially is and pick the part of the road to do it and make it obvious what you're doing and look.

I remember him telling me a proper 3 pt turn (using mirrors/signals) can be executed almost anywhere (obvious exceptions and don't cross a solid line !!!) with care and consideration. Just doing it without choice of location, signal, care would be crazy driving IMHO.

Sue Wrote:

> JohnL Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Watch out its not people practicing for the

> test

> > :)

> >

> > I had to do them hundreds of times - usually

> same

> > road.

> >

>

> xxxxxx

>

> Surely your driving instructor didn't have you

> doing three point turns on a main road?!?!?!?