Cycling to Canary Wharf

Morning,

I commute (on the bike) to Waterloo at the moment and I have found a route that I am comfortable with. Next year however it is likely that I will have to start commuting to Canary Wharf. The cycling route to CW seems to be a lot more busy/not as straight forward, either cycling thru the Rotherhithe Tunnel (fun!), taking the Greenwhich foot tunnel or taking the detour to Tower Bridge and then to CW.

I am sure there must be people in ED that cycle to CW. Does anyone have any experiences to share on routes/dangers etc?

Ta!

I go the Greenwich route. It is quite quiet and mostly back roads so not so much traffic. The only busy bits are Brockley and Deptford and they aren?t too bad. It takes me about 35min. I used to go the Tower Bridge route but it is busier and about a 1 mile longer. I have never considered Rotherhithe Tunnel ? doesn?t sound good.

I used to cycle from ED to CW. Friend introduced me to the off-road (mostly) route from Tower Bridge to the Wharf and it was absolutely lovely. Made it much safer and more pleasant. Used to do it in about 40 minutes, but I was v slow and unfit.

I've attached a screenshot of the route (actually a return journey, but it's pretty much the same outbound), because it's quite difficult to try and explain. Usefulness might depend on where in ED you are?

I would strongly advise against cycling through the Rotherhithe tunnel on health grounds alone - it is not well ventilated from car fumes!

I do the route via Greenwich foot tunnel daily, it is 10k each way from ED. 28-30 mins for me on a single speed fixy so probably quicker if you have gears.

Typical route which involves traffic, but you can do this almost traffic free by heading over Telegraph Hill behind Nunhead.

http://email.strava.com/wf/click?upn=FLdFplb9Rd0LY-2BmLy3OryvDDptMqBn6AAC1cAG-2FGDgJxgOBXaKFNA3i58hYZSC0oX9DIArKzqXHhF0OYe-2BXJDdBZUPlzHjLZcWNGjc0aJG2bm3h3EQ-2BkoZC4WTS05MM6X9OGelyznmRh7EZkyCS9mQ-3D-3D_UZ-2Fw3Bg8EOda-2F-2BSazO07kdPKHtvvoMTAxTUThB0UZbLZavDT

I used to go through the foot tunnel but eventually the sights of New Cross / Deptford / backside of Greenwich got a bit depressing. So now I use AE's route, with the slight change of going to the end of Bellenden Rd then up the canal path between Peckham Pulse and the library - genuinely lovely in the spring and summer (but probably best to be careful in the dark). The other occasional joy of AE's route is when you have to stop to let a boat under Tower Bridge or out of Limehouse basin.

In terms of time, I find that it's hard to consistently break 30mins if you stop at all the lights, no matter how fast you go in between.

If you really want the most direct route and you're not in a hurry, it's probably through Surrey Quays and then over the ferry by the Hilton hotel.

Thanks for all your input. I used to do the same route to Tower Bridge like AE, when I was still working in the City, which was fine (apart from being attacked once in Burgess Park!).

The ferry is nice, but would like to avoid paying TfL fees when I am cycling!

Agree on time with mikeb. I find it pretty hard to get speed up in London since I stop at the lights and although not unfit am not an aggressive cyclist (would like to return in one piece at end of the day).

Maccers - I can't access your link.

Hi there

I used to cycle regularly from ED to the Hilton in Rotherhithe and then take the Hilton Ferry over the river (a 3 minute crossing). I stopped as I nearly got knocked off near Surrey Quays & it rather put me off, (along with getting to work sweaty), but parts of the journey were ok. Adys Road, Bellenden Road - all the way to the end, past Peckham Library, various options to the Old Kent Road, cross over onto Rotherhithe New Road (which has a cycle path some of the way), keep going all the way to Surrey Quays, onto Redriff Road, then follow discreet signs for the Hilton. There is a bike park at the Hilton or you can take the bike on the boat. Perhaps you could persuade work to subsidise the Hilton Ferry? Mine does which makes it my preferred route, although now I drive most of the time. I hope you find an option to suit you.