Beware crows on Townley Road

I was quietly walking along the road at around 8pm last night from the Lordship Lane end and a crow swooped down and clawed my head and then swooped at me several more times until I could get far enough away to be left alone. It was entirely unprovoked - I’m guessing they must be nesting along there. (I can see from the forum it happened to someone last year around this time too.) Be careful, their claws are sharp! 

47 minutes ago, Buffnutter said:

I was quietly walking along the road at around 8pm last night from the Lordship Lane end and a crow swooped down and clawed my head and then swooped at me several more times until I could get far enough away to be left alone. It was entirely unprovoked - I’m guessing they must be nesting along there. (I can see from the forum it happened to someone last year around this time too.) Be careful, their claws are sharp! 

Happened to me around 8.30 on corner of Townley and Beauval last night too - it came from behind so i had no idea it was coming, luckily it didn't claw me, but swooped so low over my head I felt the swoosh of its wings. Pretty terrifying and I could see it perched on a chimney pot so was wary of it flying down again. Presume it was the same bird, felt like something out of Hitchcock. 

They're very protective of their recently fledged young and will divebomb people who get too close. There was probably a youngster lurking nearby. It happened to me a few years ago on Peckham Rye Common.

Posted (edited)

Yes, this is true.  I used to feed the crows on Peckham Rye and once you feed them they never forget you and will appear almost instantly the next time you visit.   I follow an account on Instagram called Crows in a Park which follows crows in a central London Park.

Edited by Froglander

Hi guys, I'm a journalist for Southwark News. I'm currently covering a story about the crow attacks in this location, to warn people to avoid/be careful in that area this time of year.

Would any of you who have been attacked be willing to be quoted for the article?

If so my email is [email protected]

Thanks in advance!