Can anyone recommend an honest estate agent? Do they exist?!

PN33

Hello,

My girlfriend and I have decided to buy a one-bed apartment, hopefully in SE15. We have a mortgage agreed in principle and were looking forward to getting some viewings arranged and getting a feel for what we can find for our budget.

So we've been contacting the usual estate agents and we're hearing a familiar story... you'll have to head towards Deptford or Crystal Palace with that budget. Thing is, I'm explaining to these people that I have seen (albeit now sold) properties on their websites which tick every box on our list and are within budget, and their answer is that because they were posted a few months ago, the value has completely changed. I just had a lady from a well-known chain (there's a big one on Lordship Lane :-)) tell me that the ?200k one bed house they had listed on Queens Road Peckham which was posted in April, would now cost ?250k. I'm sorry, but if house prices were inflating at a rate of 25% over a 3 month period I think we'd all be hearing about it... as in, a national emergency! I just feel like they're trying to push us first-time buyers out to cheaper areas so they can instigate bidding wars in the more attractive areas so they're dealing with people with more money.

Rant over. Can anybody recommend a local estate agent?!

Sorry to tell you PN33, but we had our 2 bed flat valued in March with a view to selling, but had to put it on hold due to my husband's redundancy. Just had them round in the last week and they've suggested adding ?20k onto the asking price they suggested when it was first valued, claiming "shortage of housing stock" as the reason. It's a case of the value being what the market will tolerate I guess. It's mad, but that's how it is I'm afraid. Of course we may not get what they are suggesting, and I'm not putting the budget up for what we're going to buy in expectation.

Good luck with your home buying.

Twirly Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sorry to tell you PN33, but we had our 2 bed flat

> valued in March with a view to selling, but had to

> put it on hold due to my husband's redundancy.

> Just had them round in the last week and they've

> suggested adding ?20k onto the asking price they

> suggested when it was first valued, claiming

> "shortage of housing stock" as the reason.

Thanks for your reply. I do appreciate that there is a shortage, but my guess would be that adding ?20k on a 2 bed flat in this area comes in at somewhat less than a 25% increase.

It's all a bit depressing really!

Hi PN33,

I sympathise with your situation. I know that prices are going up silly amounts.

In terms of your question - I personally know a very good (new) estate agency, that can give you guidance on what you've been hearing, and a current view of the market. They are http://no-flies.co.uk/ and have been recommended on this forum.

020 7737 8047

Regards,

Raj.

" I just feel like they're trying to push us first-time buyers out to cheaper areas so they can instigate bidding wars in the more attractive areas so they're dealing with people with more money. "

If you are selling a place isn't that what you would want? Therefore estate agents are being honest - to you and to the seller?

If they were pushing you out, only to sell the flat at the price you think it should have been, that would be dishonest - but that isn't what's happening

As for which ones are any good - most people have good and bad stories about all estate agents so mileage will vary - but for my recommendations, I've got particular time for Jake at Acorn

either way best of luck (don't rule out Crystal Palace either - it's a good spot)

Thanks for your replies. I am going to speak to No-Flies, although they only have 4 properties available. Still, they sound like people to talk to and register with.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Crystal Palace but I feel that it's going the way of East Dulwich a bit... lovely for families, not so much going on for 26 year olds into the arts.

Where do people see this heading in the next year or so? I mean, surely it cannot get to a point where a one-bed flat in Queens Road Peckham is ?300k plus? There will have to be a ceiling, any chance of decline?

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> think outside the box, I'm selling a c.1830 3-bed

> stone cottage with gothic windows and Aga, 1/8

> acre garden and parking for 4-5 cars for the same

> price in Wiltshire, no agent !

> also outside office w/ WC.

> and I'll fix the price for ya..

Ha, thanks, sounds lovely!

Just spoke to Brendan at No-Flies. He sounds great, nice to get a personal service (there's only 2 of them so no speaking to a different person every time) and he sounds like he will actually bear us in mind as he comes accross properties. Thanks for the tip Raj!