seriously...well done mums

anapau

Ok so despite having a fair amount of childcare experience already (babysitting, the odd bit of childminding and classroom teaching), this week was the first week I've done full days sole charge with two little girls (nearly 3 and nearly 6).

They were lovely and I have really, really enjoyed it, but oh my goodness I am exhausted. We did a lot of trips, venturing as far as the science museum! and navigated public transport with pram and all; everything ran smoothly but nonetheless, having to keep track of girls/scooters/buggys whilst keeping them fed/watered/happy......people do noooot appreciate just how DIFFICULT and exhausting (yet, of course, also very rewarding) this can be. Especially the incredibly unsympathetic bus drivers I've had to deal with - what is with them??

Not that I didn't already, but this week has made me respect you mothers so much, and given me the smallest hint of what looking after children full-time must be like. Wow.

I hope this doesn't sound at all patronising, I'm genuinely just quite in awe. Good on you mothers, seriously.

Wow that's such a nice thing to post, thanks from one EDF mum!

It is hard but rewarding. But hard! Especially in this heat, with more than one and on the buses. Well done you for doing so much with your two charges! I have my husband off with me at the moment and I think he is now truly realising how challenging it can be to get out and about in this weather with two little ones - and that's with both of us on task!

I hope your post helps some mums or dads out there feeling a bit overwhelmed and snowed under by it all to feel proud of themselves. New mums especially. I also recommend reading Naomi Stadlen books, they really helped me transition from life pre baby to pos baby in terms of how you are still working, doing and achieving, just in a very different (and more important IMHO) way than before.

And thank you from me, and have to give credits to you too, I'm a new mum but have also worked in childcare for many years and know how stressful it is to look after someone else's children, so it sounds like you have done very well this week!