Denmark - best areas for August holiday?

Further to my other posts about last minute holiday ideas off the beaten track, we're thinking about Denmark- does anyone have a good knowledge of the country and which areas may be best for a week with a relatively quiet beach or lake nearby?

Would definitely recommend the island of Bornholm which is actually south of Sweden but Danish. Even in August (last year) it was pretty quiet (lots of Danes holiday there but relatively few people from other countries). The beaches are lovely and quiet and it's a easy island to get round by bus or bike (the most popular form of transport). I think you can fly to somewhere in southern Sweden (cant remeember where as we cane from Germany) and ferry over or you can definitely fly to Copenhagen then bus and ferry.

Thanks for the interesting suggestions so far. It looks great! I also had more great advice in a PM from chrismar which I'm posting for anyone else who is interested in going. She says:-

- - - - - - -

"My recommendation would be to look into Gilleleje, which is about 45 mins from Copenhagen. It's a good base if you want to also explore Copenhagen. You can book summer cottages online and drive there from Copenhagen airport.

Alternatively, if you want something really off the beaten track, the island of Bornholm, between Sweden and Denmark, is glorious. Gudhjem is a great base there. You could catch a connecting flight from Copenhagen or drive (not sure how long it takes).

Danes go on holiday in August but it shouldn't be that hard to find accommodationas children should be back in school next Monday.

Another option is Skagen, you'd have to fly to Aalborg. It's the tip of the peninsula (on the 'German' side). If you're interested in art, there's lots to see there. The light is fantastic. Or, if you want city life, Copenhagen is really quite chilled. The city beaches are lovely.

Danes go on holiday in August so it shouldn't be that hard to find accommodation. Children should be back in school next Monday.

Yeah - go go go! Denmark really is very nice - us Danes (even the ones that have chosen not to live there) are proud of our land!

?rhus is a lovely city and is surrounded by nice forests and with several beaches near by.

I also second Bornholm and Gilleleje!

Other nice places are South Funen (Syd Fyn) with it's islands as well as of course the West Coast of Jutland with it's vast sandy beaches. Down South Jutland (West Coast) you also find nice little islands such as Fan? (near Esbjerg where the ferry from Harwich comes in).

Hope you enjoy yor trip! We happen to be there at the same time visiting the family - can't wait!

thanks for that MummaB. I'll check them out .Are there also lakes in those areas? (What's it like for mosquitos/midges??) We're trying to find a little cottage somewhere now - there seem to be lots available but it's hard to see just what they are like- any suggestions for the best websites to try for self catering places?

Arhus is great - lots of cafes and a nice atmosphere. We stayed at Ebeltoft along the coast from there. The beaches on that side are rather small and feel more like lakeside rather than seaside. All very quiet and low key. The weather I remember as being quite variable, much like a typical British summer (ie quite a bit of rain)

There are some lakes but my memory fails me - sorry!

There are mosquitos - especially near wooded areas but it really varies on the weather.

Have you tried visitdenmark.co.uk?

Loads of summer houses for rent in Denmark and the school holidays are over now.

Rent some bikes - great country for cycling!

Hi Minitoots.

I'm from Skagen and I can't recommend that place enough, I was there last month to visit my mum (with my little boy now 5 month) for a couple of weeks and it was just heaven.

Conde Nast recently had an article about Skagen. (If you decide to go i can give you more tips of where to go and what to see) :-)

http://www.cntraveller.com/recommended/coast-countryside/shores-of-skagen-denmark

Regards

Liisbet

I suppose none of the Danish forumites who have sent such helpful replies to my post know anyone who has a lovely cottage right by a lake or sea that would be available for us to rent for a week from 26th Aug??? I know it's a long shot, but worth a try!! All the ones I've seen online do not show the exact location or what the views are like although they are very detailed in descriptions of size of rooms etc!

We've had some really helpful advice above, thanks so much! We've decided we'll almost certainly fly to Aarhus so any more suggestions on the best places to stay within about 50 miles or so would be great. We thought maybe by a lake rather than the sea and would prefer not to be in a 'holiday complex' of cottages so if anyone has more detailed suggestions that would be really helpful.