Ex Local Authority blocks...

j5nn

Also to counteract the negativity! If leasehold with a housing ass. as opposed to council it is possible to pay a little extra on top of the service charge towards works so that you are never landed with a bill regardless of the costs of works or how much you have paid in.

Ex local tend to be solidly built, excellently serviced in the case of most housing association blocks (there are many in Dulwich, Dawson's Heights being the largest I think) and with loads more space for your cash even when considering service charges. Also buildings insurance is usually included and any major problems that arise (leaky roof, external doors, pipework etc) are usually done free of charge as it is included in the service charge so in my experience it is a money saver rather than a problem.

I suppose it's down to the individual organisations, blocks, and agreements etc.

I'm broadly a fan of the potential of ex-LA properties. You just need to do your homework. I've been involved with several and have found they're often kept in good maintenance order requiring much less internal works than period properties. If you get one in a block where there has been a recent renovation (funded by the LA) then you minimise the chances of that hefty leasehold works bill. The state of the roof and windows are the first two things you should look for.

You can also get some real bargains in some surprising areas if you look hard. Never mind round here... we found a 1 bed in a 10 flat council block, 1 street back from the warehouse conversions on the river in Wapping for ?170k (2007 price) that we lived in for a bit, stuck in a new solid oak, floor, kitchen and bathroom and now lets for a 9% gross yield to young city profs. For ?250k you can still get a 1 bed ex LA needing renovation near Tower Bridge.....