workman barriers dumped on lordship lane!!!!

monica

Has anyone noticed the blue barriers,sand and cement dumped on the junction of frogley road and lordship lane?Since monday e have been calling southwark council and nobody has bothered moving them or picking them up.There is no work going on there unless they work at night,and the whole set up is causing a lot a of bother to traffic.Today i called the police because of the potential traffic hazard and its still blooming there.Will it take an accident for either southwark council or the police to do something?

(monica has now left her soap box:)

It seems to be the same all over East Dulwich and in Nunhead. Last week, at the junction of Underhill Rd and Upland Rd, people were having to walk in the middle of the road - trying to avoid cars and the P13 bus. Summer is coming, so next it will be the gas works that were not finished last year.

Oddly enough, you're both on the right track...

Both councils and contractors lose the budget for any works that were allocated to a financial year, but not started. This then has a knock on effect on the following year's budget (which is cut as it's a multiplier on the previous year's outlay)

Hence it's in all of their interest at precisely this time of year to 'start' works before April 5th. Starting entails... you've guessed it... dumping loads of crap in the middle of the road, and then buggering off to 'start' another project, and another etc. etc.

It's not unknown for these 'started' projects to go untouched for six months or more.

At least, that was what one of my mates who works for a contractor told me... ;)

Its a common public sector thing. We are now being asked for invoices for work to be delivered next financial year. To give money back to the treasury is the hugest sin in the public sector. The treasury will not thank you for it (buggers up the sums) and you will get less money next year as you clearly arent capable of spending properly.