When to look for a childminder

tinyem

Hello!

I am expecting my first child at the end of October and will sadly have to go back to work after 6 months off. I was originally thinking about looking at nurseries but after a few discussions with people who already have children I wonder if my baby would be better off with a childminder.

So I guess I was hoping someone could confirm when I should start looking for a childminder (I understood for nursery I'd need to start looking now) and also how you find a childminder, I know they are also Ofsted listed but I wondered if there was a better way to find someone?

Thanks

Emma

I looked about 3 months before I went back to work. To be honest I thought I would go nursery route but as baby was 9 months when I went back to work I preferred the continuity of a childminder and the home setting and am pleased I opted for cm.

There is childcare.co.uk and also a list available from your local borough. Vacancies come up at childminders all the time for various reasons. I wouldn't do anything until you know how you feel post birth about a return to work,it may initially seem unimaginable, and also find a good match for your baby's personality/requirements.

There are loads of threads on here about childminder v nursery etc. do a search and you might read a lot that will help you and take the pressure off for time being.

Thank you, I will run a search!

Sadly I will have to go back to work, it isn't financially viable for me not to but I guess I might choose to go back 4 days per week rather than 5?

It is something I would like to think about later though rather than pre-arrival!