What does the 4+ assessment involve for prep schools?

srisky

Just looking at all the options & not wanting to start a debate about state V independent schools but can anyone tell me what is involved in the assessments for the local prep schools (JAPS, Alleyn, Dulwich Prep etc)? I don't want to coach my children for the assessment and don't want them to feel like they are being assessed but would like to know what is involved before going through the process. Please PM if you prefer.

Thanks

2 of mine tried for Alleyn's. it was just like a morning at nursery, they did some stuff all together (my son mentioned the Hokey Cokey), did some activities/ games in small groups (my daughter said puzzles) with a teacher, had a story and talked about it, then that was it. It's only just over an hour I think. I honestly can't see how you could prepare a child for it, other than sending them to nursery as most people do anyway.

I think japs is the same but not sure.

Good luck if you go for it.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping it would be something like that, where the children will be oblivious to the fact they were being assessed and that there was no feeling of 'failure' if they were not chosen. Knowing my daughter she will become mute during the assessment even though she is an incessant chatterbox at all other times, hopefully that'll change by the time she is 4y, as for my 6 month old son...who knows?!

I think we are currently in the catchment for Goodrich & Heber but we will almost certainly be moving in the next year to two so wanted to see if these schools are a viable option, from the assessment point of view at least.

I agree with JessM.

I think they like to see that the children are willing to try things so they're not necessarily looking for that child who can complete the puzzle easily but more the child who is willing to have a go at everything on offer :)

I think they do also see about phonics and writing their name but in an easy way so as not to pressure the child.

I think it's purely down to how your child wakes up that morning and whether s/he is prepared to leave you firstly and secondly take part in the activities (if that makes sense).

Good luck.

Agree with Pebbles, I really don't think you can coach them to do the assessment. I do however, think you can coach/prepare them to separate from you to perform the assessment. Harsh as it seems, these schools have so many applicants that although they are sweet and understanding if a child doesn't go into the room or wants to leave it they usually don't get a second go. We didn't prepare our son for his assessment but did spend quite a bit of time explaining to him that he was going off by himself to chat to some new teachers and trying to make him feel as super confident as possible. He was only 2.5 at the time and still very clingy, despite some nursery time, but did go off happily and I think being aware of what was happening helped him.

My daughter was assessed for japs.

She said that she had to thread animals on a piece of cord (elephants or monkeys or something that attached somehow), complete the broken lines on a drawing of a truck, and sit and listen to a story, cut out a shape drawn on paper, and some other stuff like draw a triangle, build something (?)

*dredging up from yonks ago, though* :)

• 4 weeks later...