Architect for house renovation

bumpy

We're considering buying a property that'll need completely renovating and wondered if anyone could recommend an architect.

Slight catch is that it's in Surrey rather than East Dulwich but want the sensibilities of the kind of properties we're used to seeing round here.

On the other hand if anyone's moved to the Horsley area and could recommend a local person then we'd be keen to look at that too.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi there - I have recently used Marienne as our architect for renovations on our property. I found her to be super helpful, knowledgeable and really went above and beyond..... even after her work with us had completed, she still remained open for questions etc. I really can't rate her enough and will use her services again for future works and will most certainly be recommending her to friends. http://mariennepachonick.com/

Good luck with your renovations!!!

Cakey

actually, if you need a structural engineer too, I recommend this guy:

Kevin Wright & Co.

Chartered Project Management Surveyors

Chartered Building Surveyors

Consulting Civil & Structural Engineers

127 Beulah Road, Thornton Heath, Surrey. CR7 8JJ

Tel: 020 8653 7770 Facsimile 020 8653 6696

Marienne actually put us in contact with him - highly recommended!

• 5 months later...

Hi folks,

I used Marienne Pachonick and I really wished I hadn?t. She was engaged to produce plans for an extension and managed to get almost every aspect wrong. For example she didn?t actually measure the length of the extension but admitted she guessed from an OS map. This naturally had huge consequences such as foundations being built in the wrong place. She also managed to get the height of the extension wrong and the width of an internal corridor wrong - it was so narrow that a person couldn't fit comfortably through it.

She tried every trick in the book to avoid responsibility. Only finally caving when I informed her of my intention to initiate the complaints procedure of her governing body. When Ms Pachonick finally accepted responsibility she offered to refund some of her fee. This I accepted only to ensure she would have nothing more to do with the job.

I guess having your friends recommend you on a forum is just about fair practice but having used her and had such a poor and costly experience - I really wouldn't recommend Marienne Pachonick to anyone.

• 1 month later...

Dear Calla

Regrettably a mistake was made on the drawings, and in hindsight I did not deal with the initial query properly. However, when you made your dissatisfaction known to me, I offered to meet with you, I went to site immediately and liaised with the contractor and engineer to make a proposal for remedial measures, which I diligently followed up thereafter and which you accepted in writing was satisfactorily dealt with and resolved. I offered my sincere apologies and a refund of the building control fee for the inconvenience caused. From this I took the matter to be closed.

Please do not hesitate to get in touch directly for any further project related queries.

Regards

Marienne Pachonick

Justin White of Sterling White in New Cross is fantastic. Nice chap too.

He did a great job on our plans and we are currently mid build - builders not complained about his plans either.

My parents used him which was how we found him. Strangely when we met him we worked out he was the year above me at the same primary school in Kent and his mum lives a road away from my parents (in Kent), not that I knew him or even remembered him but small world!