One-to-one teaching - advice needed!

Rach1983

Hi all,

Not sure if I put this in the right thread but here we go! I'm just wondering if there are any private tutors/one-to-one teachers who would be able to give me some advice. I'm a qualified EFL teacher and I want to start giving one-to-one classes to earn some extra money. The problem is that I don't feel comfortable going to the house of someone I don't know (I'd be teaching adults) and I can't do lessons in my own flat. Does anyone know of anywhere round here that could be another option? A quiet cafe perhaps?

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

I visit people but more often go to bigger public spaces, like the Royal Festival Hall / South Bank. I find it easier to find quiet spots than in most cafes. My sessions are usually 3 hours so I don't mind the travel / cost. It also means clients aren't restricted to ED.

If you decide to change your mind and go into people's houses, it may make them feel more comfortable and thus they may learn more. Just a thought. If you go down this route, I highly recommend you get public liability insurance (I got mine from a well known company charging the least amount, PM me for details), and also, tell someone where you are going and the name of the person you are seeing and what time you will be back by. Basic common sense, but good practice.