What happened to the St Thomas More Hall?

minder

mikeb Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

...some inexplicable

> council office that never seems to be open (like

> Foxton's used to be)? >

>

>

Wasn't Foston's the location of the DSS office, rather that some inexplicable council office? That served a useful function when there were more people signing on in East Dulwich. Since the DSS office closed, people have to trek all the way to Peckham. And we are left with Foxton's.

BigED - you are right. Apologies, I was being flippant. I should have namechecked ex-Threshers.

Unlurked - all of those things could be valuable, though I fear they may still attract people to the area.

On a more serious note, I'm not sure we are short of health centres in the immediate area and I would have thought the police counter could go in lots of places - lack of will not space is the constraing factor (and actually the hall is about 5x larger than required for this). As for a community space, I don't think the hall was all that well-used before it was closed (and yes, I had been there myself). Father Gerry's posting goes through this in some detail.

unlurked Wrote:

> tallulah71 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > unlurked all you ever do is 'counterbalance'

> what

> > the OP is saying of any topic.

> >

> > It's a bit boring, to be honest. Just say what

> you

> > think -

>

> 'Tis my opinion. Don't read it then. Also there is

> the fleapit in Peckham that the ED film club use.

> Further reason why a cinema is not needed, nor

> should it have been wooed by 1 local politico. Nor

> will it keep yoof off the streets. Arguments for

> it are ridiculous IMO.

I'd like to go somewhere local that isn't a fleapit to watch a film.

Also, I don't think that saying the space could be used as a police counter is a useful comparison - it's not a matter of someone inviting the cinema and not the police to use the space and in any event, as has already been pointed out, it's far too big.

I think it would be great to bring something new to the area - ie not another pub / coffee shop etc.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

TJ Wrote:

> Anyone know whether the cinema is going ahead, or

> is it another urban myth aka Waitrose?

xxxxxxx

Well whether it goes ahead or not, it is hardly an urban myth, since our local councillor James Barber says that two cinema chains had been in discussion with the hall owners .....

Unless you think that James is in the business of peddling myths? Hardly a good re-election ploy, I would suggest ....

This is a great idea! Moved to ED a couple of years ago, love the area, but a new cinema would really add something, particularly to that end of Lordship Lane. A small cinema doesn't just show films but also provides a great space for the community to meet and hold creative events (short film nights, Q&As etc).

• 3 weeks later...

Well there is a bit "courtyard" (for want of a better word) space behind it, so if they're building on all of that land, then yes 3 screens sounds reasonable.

Very good news, will be a very welcome addition to the area. Imagine they'll do great business so long as they price reasonably.