Dangerous Building (fencing) - Health & Safety advice

Dave337

Hello,

My wife had a very frightening experience this morning walking down Crystal Palace Rd to take our son to nursery. He stopped to look at a cement mixer (Bob the Builder fixated!) in a front garden and whilst he was standing there a very strong gust of wind lifted up a large section of metal grille fencing (6ft x 6ft)on the edge of the property high into the air - completely by chance it fell down sideways and landed across the pavement behind him but could just have easily hit him. My very shaken wife spoke to the builders (who saw it all from inside the house but then ducked down when seen) later on but they werent native English speakers and feigned ignorance of what she was trying to explain.

Long intro, but what I want to know is who can we contact within the Council to try and ensure they secure the site properly? We were lucky this morning but when my wife walked back after nursery the fence had been put back (again very insecurely) into its concrete stand. We'd hate to have it happen again with worse consequences. She's contacted Building Regs people at council but they have made it clear it's not their responsibility re H&S on private properties. Any advice would be good.

Thanks

Dave

Sounds horrible, but to be fair if the sheet was lying down on the ground flat no-one could reasonably expect it to be lifted up and moved through the air by the wind. Having seen it though, the builders should definitely secure remaining items which could be lifted by strong wind.

Would suggest no one was harmed, and people stop thinking H&S only applies to things that could've happend to a kid,but didn't. Just 'cos you got a kid/s doesn't mean everything is a risk-just means YOU have extra responsibilty and YOU need to look after kid-not everyone else.

unlurked Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Would suggest no one was harmed, and people stop

> thinking H&S only applies to things that could've

> happend to a kid,but didn't. Just 'cos you got a

> kid/s doesn't mean everything is a risk-just means

> YOU have extra responsibilty and YOU need to look

> after kid-not everyone else.

Good grief. Why dont you lurk off.

unlurked Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Would suggest no one was harmed, and people stop

> thinking H&S only applies to things that could've

> happend to a kid,but didn't. Just 'cos you got a

> kid/s doesn't mean everything is a risk-just means

> YOU have extra responsibilty and YOU need to look

> after kid-not everyone else.

xxxxxx

And you prevent a loose fence which is not obviously loose from blowing onto your kid by looking after the kid - how exactly?

What a load of b******s.

I'm a (Union) Health and Safety Rep for my workplace. I'm surprised the council don't want to know - perhaps it's a matter of getting the right number... I would have though Southwark 'Building Control' would be the place to start. Their website says:

Dangerous structures

A dangerous structure is any structure which could endanger somebody because of its condition. This includes buildings; parts of buildings i.e. loose slates, tiles, garden walls, fences and hoardings.

How to report a dangerous structure

Please call 020 7525 5397/5582/5596 Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm or 0845 600 1285 outside normal working hours.

Email: [email protected]

Please tell us

Address of the danger

Description of what you consider to be dangerous and it's location

Any information known about the site ownership or access

Your name and contact number so that we can advise you of the action taken (optional)

The council has statutory duties to deal with dangerous structures under the London Local Authorities Act 2000 and the London Building Acts (Amendment) Act, 1939, to ensure that all structures within the borough which are considered dangerous are made safe with the shortest possible delay.

Buildings can become dangerous at any time and for a variety of reasons ranging from settlement or old age, vehicle impact, vandalism or design defects, to more dramatic causes such as fire, explosion or storm damage.

We work closely with the Police, London Fire Brigade and other emergency services as well as external government agencies such as the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and the Environmental Agency to ensure buildings in Southwark are safe.

Sounds like a small site - see here if you're interested in the builder's responsibilities re risk management etc: http://www.hse.gov.uk/construction/areyou/builder.htm

Good luck.

Helen