help - mastitis

Happy New year! So yesterday I developed mastitis when my milk came in. I have a 1 week old (and 3 year old).

I have had a temperature since yesterday lunchtime. I have been feeding from the effect ed breast as much as possible, expressing in the shower, massaging in the shower and used cabbage leafs. I still have a temperature (taking paracetamol) but the breast isn't engorged any more.

How do I know if it's getting better? It still really hurts, but like a bruise would... I cannot feel any lumps any more, but that may be due to massaging too eagerly and bruising so much that I ve list some feeling?!

Any help appreciated.

It sounds like it probably is getting better if it is getting less red and lumpy. I had it over the weekend and it went away after a few days. Ibuprofen is better than paracetamol as it is an anti inflammatory. Also gentle massage is better than hard massage as the latter can make it worse. You should go to the doctor though if you think it is getting worse as it can develop into quite a nasty infection. Hope you feel better soon!

If you still have a temperature and feel ill you should probably go and see a doctor as they would be able to advise you as to whether you should take antibiotics.

I do remember having very tender bruise-like feeling after blocked ducts/mastitis in the past though.

Going to sound very odd, but bear with me here. Cabbage leaves. I kid you not - the cold compress helps to reduce inflammation, and in turn draws the mastitis out. The best ones are the savoy cabbage,cut the stalk out and place them under your bra, against the skin, wrapped under and over your breast - Might sound like an old wives tale, but I absolutely promise it works. My best friend thought i'd gone completely mad when I did it, and in turn suggested it to her - but don't knock it until you have tried it! We now both swear by it, and i'm not a completely crazed 'greenie', really. :)

http://www.naturalnews.com/034792_mastitis_breastfeeding_natural_remedies.html#

Good luck.

Cabbage leaves are great for engorged breasts, but they won't touch mastitis, the enzymes they release work only as an anti-infammatory not as an anti-biotic. You're doing all the right things sylviamaria. I second ibuprofen (you can take with paracetamol as long as you don't exceed maximum dose for either), and the gentle massage. Feed as much as possible from the affected breast and try to position baby's lower jaw as close to the affected area as possible (not always achievable I know). I also second seeing the doctor if you still have a fever. If everything else has improved and the fever is mild then you might decide to hold off until tomorrow to reassess, but if anything, ANYTHING, gets worse - including your temperature then you should seek medical help asap. As someone up-thread mentioned, the risk is that unresolved mastitis can turn into an abscess, and that is nasty - definitely to be avoided.

Congratulations on your new baby, and Happy New Year.

Poor old you - what a start to 2014!

Thank u all for advice. Unfortunately it was a bit too far gone for cabbage leafs and I ended up in hospital on IV antibiotics. Should be home soon again, but I am a little worried I have completely ruined milk production... Fingers crossed I will be able to keep going.

Thanks again

It's still early in your breastfeeding relationship. Your supply should have plenty of time to adapt. Plus it's normal for many women to experience a dip in supply following the first couple of weeks of engorgement. Keep feeding/pumping, lots of skin-to-skin, rest if you can. Rent a hospital-grade double electronic pump, and pump in the mornings when supply is higher. Or feed on one side and pump on the other. Forumite Pickle has a wealth of advice on pumping. Good luck, and hope you're feeling better soon. See a lac consultant if you're concerned about anything. Xx

Poor thing. I had exactly the same with my little one seven months ago. The latching does get better. One thing to watch is I ended up getting thrush in the breast ducts immediately after mastitis. The antibiotics can make you vulnerable to fungal infections. This is very painful especially when latching so maybe keep an eye on that. Good luck and well done for persevering. I got off to a terrible start but now it's the most natural thing in the world xxx

Have you tried breastfeeding in different positions? Sounds a bit wierd, but one thing that was recommended on a BF Advisor course I did which did help a few people was putting your baby on the bed face up, and kneeling over and breastfeeding him or her with your boob dangling down. Obviously only as an emergency measure to help get lumps out!

I had persistent issues with plugged ducts (those painful lumps) until I started taking a dose of soy lecithin every day. http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/lecithin/. I still got them every once in a while, but much less frequently. (I also ended up taking a fair amount of fenugreek to boost milk production, which worked better than the prescription medication my doctor prescribed, but that's a different set of issues.) Good luck with it all!

• 2 months later...

No advice needed really, I just needle a good moan. Woke up this morning with a blocked duct, which seems to now have developed to mastitis as I have a temperature. 3 year old has been tantruming all day and 3month old decided not to sleep much and scream instead.

I am now expecting a call from seldoc hoping I will get antibiotics.

What a mother's day it has been!:(

What a worry for you. Hope you got your antibiotics from Seldoc, especially on a Sunday after 4pm, when Sainsburys closes. This I've learned from a recent trip to Seldoc about something completely different from mastitis but just as painful!

I had mastitis nearly 18 years ago and I still have the side-effects now.

Massage? Hot packs? Lots of sympathy!

Also maybe worth doing some research if you find you're experiencing frequent blocks/mastitis, to see if a different antibiotic would be more helpful? Some people respond better to different ones. xx