Whare do we put negative feedback.

Ruchabo

I have within the last year followed up on three glowing EDF recommendations.

One, a plasterer, Micky Lawless, was excellent.

The other two, a carpenter/handyman and a plumber were appalling. I am currently in dispute with the latter who charged c?160 for an hour's work and still left me with the original leak in my bathroom. He acknowledges in writing, that he owes me the money, but two months after the work, has failed to pay it back to me.

Most of what I see on the this site is what apears to be a real over-hyping of certain businesses. I can't be the only one who's had such negative experiences. Either that, or people really do have more money than sense and don't notice a rip off when they see it. (alas too late for me!!).

Is there anywhere to insert ones negative feedback, that it won't get moderated off the site? An objective observer would say that many of the comments on this site are hagiographies, rather than reviews.

Yes I agree.

OP try to search for the thread if possible where you found the recommended business & post your feedback on there. I do sympathize with you as I got an 'electrician' off the forum a few years back & he was rubbish. He also threw some expensive Jim Lawrence hardware away without saying anything, just because he didn't use it. I still remember his name but the thread has long gone. Wish I'd put feedback at the time.

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It seems customary to put balancing comments in

> the threads concerning the particular businesses,

> rather than create a new thread. I think

> reasonable comments won't be removed.

xxxxxx

They will be if the tradesperson in question complains and/or threatens to sue the forum.

Even if the comments are reasonable and even if the poster has proof of poor work.

• 2 weeks later...

I can second your recommendation for Mickey Lawless he did a brilliant job and what a thoroughly lovely man.

However, on the whole I can say that the majority of the trades people I have used on the forum have been second rate to appalling....one thing to note when looking up trades folk is to check how many times the person recommending them have posted on the forum....I used an ED based plumber with lots of amazing reviews....after the event I checked the "rave" recommendations and noticed that they were first time or novice posters....mates I reckon!

I agree not enough policing.

faffy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

I used an ED based plumber with lots

> of amazing reviews....after the event I checked

> the "rave" recommendations and noticed that they

> were first time or novice posters....mates I

> reckon!

xxxxxxxx

If it's the plumber I think it is, I don't think that they are necessarily mates, however this plumber specifically asks people to post a recommendation on here after he has done the job.

Probably most people he asks feel pressured into doing so, even if they've never posted on here before. They might think he won't work for them again if they don't.

I don't know how you could go about policing that.

Totally agree. I now don't believe forum recommendations as most I assume are written after considerable pressure by the tradesperson and therefore worthless.

A friend who has had similarly bad experiences now has a policy of adding to a thread with a comment such as "I had a different experience to these positive reviewers, please contact me direct for further info", which seems to be a good way of flagging a bad experience while avoiding being accused of publicly bad mouthing...

Archived