Electronic Cig ads on the TV

uncleglen

I've seen an ad for electronic cigs on 5* today. The theme is that if you are a true friend of a smoker then you will get them an NJOY electronic fag. This is still addiction to nicotine which narrows blood vessels for a start. Although the electronic fag will not have the nasty tar and carbon monoxide etc. Anyway, have sent 5* a complaint

I've seen an advertisement on a massive billboard in central London! Wondering if people complained? --it wasn't up for long. I had to do a double-take because I thought it was a cigarette ad at first. I've also seen these ads in several magazines recently. ECigs get around the current bans on tobacco advertising, which means these ads are now easily visible to young children and teens.

I'd be interested to know what response you get to your complaint, and also what are the best avenues for general advertising complaints?

I don't know much about electronic cigarettes, what's in them etc, but I'd have thought that it's not a good idea to have something on a big billboard that even remotely looks like smoking. Anyone who just glances quickly could think it's an ad for 'normal' smoking, surely they don't wnat young kids seeing this and then trying traditional cigarettes?

"ECigs get around the current bans on tobacco advertising"

...and i promise you I'm not an ecig lobbyist, just a pedant, but isn't this a bit like saying cars get around ban on tobacco advertising, or perhaps more appropriately, coca cola gets around ban on alcohol advertising.

Weirdly emotive stuff clearly.

El Pibe Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> "ECigs get around the current bans on tobacco

> advertising"

>

> ...and i promise you I'm not an ecig lobbyist,

> just a pedant, but isn't this a bit like saying

> cars get around ban on tobacco advertising, or

> perhaps more appropriately, coca cola gets around

> ban on alcohol advertising.

No, not the same analogy. They contain the same active and highly addictive ingredient, ie nicotine.

El Pibe Wrote:

> Alcohol comes from potatoes

Alcohol is distilled from the processing of potatoes. Alcohol as an individual chemical is not stored and concentrated within the potato plant as an intoxicant. Whereas nicotine is inherently present in its intoxicant form in tobacco.

Loz Wrote:

> But nicotine is not tobacco.

Yes, and that's why eCigs are allowed to advertise in places where tobacco advertising is banned. So, something which looks like a cigarette, and is as addictive as a cigarette is now advertised in places where cigarette advertising is banned.

Saffron Wrote:

> Loz Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > But nicotine is not tobacco.

>

> Yes, and that's why eCigs are allowed to advertise

> in places where tobacco advertising is banned.

> So, something which looks like a cigarette, and is

> as addictive as a cigarette is now advertised in

> places where cigarette advertising is banned.

But are they as dangerous to health as cigarettes?

• 3 weeks later...

Despite being obsessively anti-smoking during their childhood, 2 of my kids took up smoking at 18. They both now use the e-cigs and I feel happier about this than the ordinary fags because they are inhaling vapour and nicotine and not all the noxious substances in cigarettes. Some of the e-cigs can be flavoured with mint and other essences. Since these flavouring chemicals are also burnt I would welcome research as to whether carcinogens are produced in this way.

The dosage of nicotine can be controlled in the e-cig by using different strengths of nicotine 'juice' I am reliably informed. It would be inadvisable for pregnant women to use any nicotine product since blood vesels are narrowed by its action and the placenta could be compromised

• 2 weeks later...

I believe there are plans to regulate them as medicines soon anyway.

I must admit having tried them that they are very close to the real thing.

The tobacco companies are in on the act now and the marketing is clearly aimed at creating new smokers (via 'vapers').

• 4 weeks later...

Otta Wrote:

> Yes, we must not promiter these products that are

> designed to get people off of the MUCH MUCH MUCH

> more harmful products!

I think their advertising should be very carefully regulated. They present a serious hazard in so far as their promotion to 'appropriate' groups must not spill over to inappropriate groups (ie children). Furthermore, adds should not portray ecigs as a healthy or safe habit for adults who don't already smoke.

Considering that I've seen glammed up ecig adds in magazines, and on giant public billboards, I would personally consider that these are being advertised in very ethically questionable ways.

University campuses have already banned them in the London, and I think we're set to see a lot more regulation. Rightly so IMHO.