Le Chardon - terrible service

Barking84

I have never returned to this restaurant after we were also treated badly by the owner 18 months ago. It's a shame as the first time we went we had a lovely lunch and the waiter was charming (a young French chap). My husband met a friend there for dinner, 2 of them were seated at a table for four people. As I was returning from work I thought I'd pop in and join them for dessert. This seemed to be a massive problem for them and they slammed our plates down on the table and talked about us in French (I have a degree in languages). My husband and his friend work in restaurants so they were pretty appalled.

In the evenings it's not cheap, so for a posh-is meal I'd rather go to ToastED or take a jaunt to Joanna's in Crystal Palace where the service has been excellent on recent visits.

Not a big deal? A massive capital letter thread on a public forum....which I see has now been reduced down to a more sensible title.

But hey, no-one likes to be treated badly and no doubt you would have been pretty annoyed but my experience of this woman is that although she can seem lacking in empathy, she is rightly proud of her restaurant and when she is there it's a very good place to eat. when she is not there it's not so good.

If you want to eat PROPER FRENCH , quite SOPHISTICATED FOOD in South London, go to UPSTAIRS restaurant in Brixton.

french owners, waiters not only french, and GUESS WHAT? everybody is very welcoming there :) with a very good service quality.

great reviews and rating on Toptable.

Bon app?tit biens?r!

Mick Mac Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Not a big deal? A massive capital letter thread on

> a public forum....which I see has now been reduced

> down to a more sensible title.

>

>

> But hey, no-one likes to be treated badly and no

> doubt you would have been pretty annoyed but my

> experience of this woman is that although she can

> seem lacking in empathy, she is rightly proud of

> her restaurant and when she is there it's a very

> good place to eat. when she is not there it's not

> so good.

That's my experience too Mick Mac. She's always been great when I've been in there but I admit I've never tested her by swigging from a bottle.

Hear, hear, cant recommend the Upstairs restaurant enough. Its all about fantastic food, service and atmosphere. They care about their customers and always remember you when you return. I think a number of restaurants locally could take a leaf out of their book!!

Upstairs is excellent. Unusual and a must for anyone locally who hasn't gone there.

Back on topic, I rather like woman at said French joint. She's got some French type standards and can be brusque but hey thats fine by me. If you were actually in France, plenty others would have said something too.

Incredibly passive-aggressive to swig from the bottle, when, as you say, there were glasses on every other table and the place was empty, so you could simply have grabbed yourselves a couple.

Seems to me your friend was set on making a rather ostentatious, and rather boorish point, looking to get a rise. In which you joined him.

So you got one. And then took to every social media platform you could find to complain about it. Bravo.

Archived