King's College Hospital - 3rd worst in country?! Please read/sign!

KesterBrewin

PeckhamPam thank you for contributing and thank you for being a Governor.

If all of these people complainers or praisers could become Members of the Trust, it would cost you nothing, and anyway you can all go to the public meetings and the Members meetings. And raise your issues with the Chief Executive.

I really don't know where to start with King's really.

It's a shame as I've had a near death experience with them in A&E 15 years ago and they saved my life (pulmonary embolism), but days before I was up on the maternity ward complaining about how I felt but was discharged within 24 hours.

Before that King's had helped me and my sisters and friends through many births/traumas.

You trust a hospital. Fast forward 2011-2013. The A and E Dept., their breast cancer department, the aftercare, the Gynacolegy dept which sadly got it wrong for my Mum after the breast dept. but then the general wards which are also another story as my Mum was admitted a few times to the wards where we saw good and bad but had to let her stay day and night.

Also, the attitude of some of the ambulance staff visiting people in their own homes leaves a lot to be desired.

There are good and bad points in hospitals. A friend had a quadruple heart bypass at Barts a few weeks ago, he then developed an infection in his leg. Despite asking what it was and how it happened, the Drs refused to discuss the matter. It added to another 10 days stay in hospital and mucked up his discharge arrangements as has been advised that he had to have someome at home for at least 7 days to care for him. The arrangement was for him to go to his sister's for a week before she went on holiday. The delayed discharge meant that he had 2 days at his sisters, 2 days with a niece and then returned home alone.

The majority of Drs in Kings - especially on the 'elderly wards' take a great deal of time explaining medical matters to family and patients.

I work in Kings and as a patient have had good and bad experiences as both an in and out patient. Went in for an op scheduled to take place before 11 am. (having got there at 6 am) nothing to eat or drink since 8 pm the night before, op did not take place until around 9 pm and was kept overnight, not allowed any food until after midday the 2nd day - despite being a diabetic. One ward stayed in - staff awful, the next 2 - staff could not have been more helpful

The thread is about King's A and E. Start a new thread about their services by all means. I could have started a thread to says 'Kings saved my husband's eyesight!'

They did and he earns a living, actually quite a good one and it's very helpful supporting our children through University and Sixth Form. I work too, always have done, our health service has many unspoken heroes and we have a heck of a lot of world class care on our doorstop,,we really do.