Misleading Service Charge at The Herne Tavern

j.r.robertson

service charges not going directly to staff is widespread and ongoing - I wouldn't single out The Herne for this

20% has been directly refuted by at least one poster who was there this weekend- they confirmed it was 10%

The original poster has gone VERY quiet so it looks more like a hit and run attack than a genuine concern to me (so far anyway)

bob Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Go to the new web site the menu and prices are all

> clearly displayed I can not find any mention of a

> service charge to be added so should they be

> allowed to add it to your bill in retrospect.

> Bob S

By law it must be clearly displayed. It needs to be on the menu's - not sure if it has to be on the website, but it's certainly good practice on the part of the business. Any decent restaurant states it clearly online.

The old website is from when it was a different company, so it has no legal standing - that is, they can't point to it as evidence of the policy.

SJ - just because a lot of places do it isn't reason to ignore it (if it's happening at The Herne, we don't actually have proof of it).

Dear Forum,

This is Cymon the operator of The Herne.

I am a little shocked at how things have got a bit distorted on this topic of Service Charge, so thought it might be helpful to set the record straight.

The HT charges an optional 12.5% service Charge and as far as im aware always has, it is printed at the bottom of the bill, If it has fallen off the menu i will raise this straight away with the acting manager, so apologies if that is the case?

It most definately is optional, im unsure of how many other pubs trying to introduce quality service and food, can work without a service charge.

We pay higher than the minimum wage, the staff do get tips, but do not if there are till irregularities.

We believe this a fair policy, some may not.

We are a small operator, in a tied Punch Pub, we have invested in the building and decoration, we have invested in staff and hardware.

I would really appreciate peoples support, online bashings with incorrect facts are unhelpful and misleading.

I wish no malice on anyone for this, its a matter of the wrong info and the wrong time.

Thank you to all those with positive comments, any feedback or queries are always welcome at [email protected]

best wishes,

Cymon

THEHERNE Wrote:

We pay higher than the minimum wage, the staff do

get tips, but do not if there are till irregularities.

We believe this a fair policy, some may not.

Cymon

So are you saying that any till irregularities Must be down to bar Staff and not management.

Do managers also serve. ?

If they do and you are blaming staff then that is defamation of character,

and can lead to an unhealthy work environment.

Must be fun working for you lot.

DulwichFox

Jesus h keerist

Whatever you think about Herne position, it's a world away from what original poster (now AWOL) said

Nothing in cymon's statement would be any different from most pubs. If you don't like the practice complain louder and wider but scapegoating one pub isn't on

If cymon is tied to punch taverns then he is already making very little money. Blame the pub co and system

THEHERNE Wrote:

> We pay higher than the minimum wage, the staff do

> get tips, but do not if there are till

> irregularities.

So if one member of staff has their hand in the till (or makes a few genuine mistakes) then no-one gets tipped?? That's not cool for the honest/reliable ones. Not accusing your staff of dishonesty/incompetence but I've worked a few bars and that is a rough deal.

> We believe this a fair policy.

Interesting.

If my tips relied on the honesty and competence of other people I wouldn't see that as fair.

Cymon

I also asked the staff did they receive minimum wage as was curious at the time as I run a consultancy firm that deals with HMRC and had a professional interest. So unless you are paying more than the 6.31 legal minimum or the staff are lying and that they are actually receiving more, your statement of 'We pay higher than the minimum wage, the staff do get tips' is a complete fabrication in an attempt to make good some negative feedback.

Your pub is good, the food is great my only initial concern was that you mislead and deceived your regular customers with hidden and suddenly introduced charges and in turn took away the tips which where given to a specific member of staff in good faith for a good service.

In conclusion I once again was in the pub yesterday and yes I did make a mistake with the 20% service charge (I apologise its 12.5% at 50 y/o eye sight goes and dementia kicks in) but that does not deter from my other valid points. East Dulwich is a community and within that lies a community around the Herne side of Peckham Rye which in London is an amazing thing, treat the local people including your own employees (who we come to see as our own) with more respect!

JR

Archived