schools in ED and nearby

jerher

Kingsdale has abandoned the distance/catchment area as criteria for entry. They also have scholarships in music and sport that are in great demand.

As has been said before, what suits one child won't necessarily suit another. It's vital to visit any school yourself as you will always get a wide range of opinions from other people. I would be a little wary of basing a decision purely on what you see at an open day event, when everything is prepared for visitors. You will learn much more if you can visit during the school day at another time. Some schools are more open about this than others. Kingsdale, for example, are happy to show people round at any time and only ask that you ring first so they can arrange for someone to be available to look after you.

Following on from what Debi said it is true that Kingsdale have an individual tour policy but there is also a Kingsdale open morning this Thursday 18th Sept 9.30 until 11.00am. There is then an open evening on the same day (18th Sept) 5pm to 8pm. The other open dates are Sat 20th Sept 11am - 1pm, Weds 24th Sept 9.30-11am, Sat 4th Oct 11am-1pm, Weds 8th Oct 9.30-11am and Sat 11th Oct 11am-1pm. Hope this is useful.

• 2 weeks later...
I went to visit the Charter School for my kid and found it completely depressing. It looks like a prison from the outside and inside the reception area reminded me of a minicab office. I couldn't bear the thought of my kid in that miserable environment for several years.

you are entitled to your opinion of course but I think it is a well presented school, clean and airy. Not sure which prisons you've visited but it doesn't look like any I've seen, admittedly the over the top fencing is a bit off-putting but other than that the building is fine. All the kids I know that go there are happy which is the most important thing.

I hate the way secondary schools thing has all become about sales. Since users of this site are going to criticise the school my children are perfectly happy at (the Charter), and doing extremely well academically at I should add, and therefore jeopardize future cohorts, I will have to say my piece. I am pleased Kingsdale is now so popular and obviously in future years its exam results etc are going to improve considerably. I have however been told that children were offered money from the head for every flyer marketing its open day/evenings handed in at the door by prospective parents. I would question where such money is coming from and exactly how taxpayers' money is being spent here. Heads know that their future success depends on attracting middle-class children to their school but now this is getting beyond a joke.

People need to think beyond the sales patter, think about issues such as distance to home, prospective friends, friendly hardworking, dedicated staff. You're not choosing a new car or a fancy coat you know! If only there was no choice and all children just attended their nearest school. . .

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I attended the Charter school open day and was very impressed. All the children I spoke to said they are very happy there and none complained about the "miserable surroundings", the opposite in fact. They seemed very proud of their school and were a credit to the Head and staff who seem commited to the pupils' education and well-being. I would be more than happy for my child to attend the Charter school.