Dulwich leisure swimming pool

hichm

Hello,

I'm looking for parents who takes then children 3-5 year olds to this swimming pool for general discussions.

The issue at hand is the changes in the quality of the lessons over the past year.

Please reply to this thread,

Thanks

Hicham

Actually, just there today with my five year old. Generally the lessons are good I think (we have been going since September), and haven't noticed any change in quality. However, I would say that I think the classes are too big, and that the children do not spend enough time in the water. My son only went into the water three times today - for a total of about 2 minutes.

Exactly, when we started with my 4 year old a year and half ago, classes were 5 kids a teacher. It deteriorated slowly to reach 10 kids nowadays.

The teacher looked overwhelmed, probably thinking how she would manage it.

I am trying to see how many parents share my concern before approaching management to request more staff.

Please forward to any other parents you know, and have them post a message in this forum,

Thanks,

My son started lessons in Peckham Pulse, which I found very organised and consistent and he progressed well. However they didn't seem to get him actually swimming, when he was happy to have a go - it was all float work. It was only when I changed to lessons at Dulwich pool that he really started to swim - they seemed more willing to challenge the children, and let them actually have a go at swimming by themselves if they were happy to do so. I was happy with it, despite the large class size and slightly haphazard feel. And despite the fact that this meant that during the actual struggling-swimming moments, each child has to be attended to individually by the teacher, so it means more waiting around time for all of them when it isn't their turn. Now that he's in the stage three, (admittedly judging by only one lesson so far) the kids aren't doing any float work at all and so have to be monitored on a one-to-one basis practically the whole lesson - so his total time in the water is so minimal, it hardly seems worthwhile. If there was a helper with the teacher they could at least go two at a time...I have been considering private lessons although I really like the teaching there and don't really want to take him out. I think if the lessons stay this way, though, it wouldn't actually work out more expensive in terms of amount of time being taught per pound paid!

In short, I would support a request for more staff.

I have just changed lessons from crystal palace to dulwich purely for convenience purposes & I completely agree with the comments above. My youngest is in stage 3 & he was only in the water 3 times on his first lesson. This is so disappointing, I wish I'd never changed. My eldest is stage 5 and whilst they do constant swimming they are only doing widths (opposed to lengths at crystal palace), so not great for building up stamina.

I think I'll be changing again after this term.

Same concerns here. Also, when my boy was told he was ready to progress from stage 3 to stage 4 we had to go on the waiting list. We waited for months and he was only moved when I filled in a complaint form. Stage 4 is better in that they all swim across at the same time so they swim more, so I'm glad we waited, but it was very frustrating for a while. Also, I felt bad about him being moved because I complained - I don't want to be a pushy nightmare moaner and it doesn't seem fair on those who don't complain.

I think the fundamental issue is that there are so many families wanting to do the lessons but only a limited amount of time the centre can allocate for swim school in the pool.

I would suggest those of you who are unhappy with the amount of time spent on land contact the swim school manager when you are next at the Dulwich Baths. In terms of the number of pupils per class hichm, the standard is 10 children per class. I think the likely reason that there were fewer when you started using the facility, is that while the Leisure Centre were closed for renovation, customers moved elsewhere and it took a while for classes to refill again once the pool was reopened (eg parents would keep them elsewhere while they were still in a particular level with a teacher they were used to).

I would suggest those of you who are unhappy with the amount of time spent on land contact the swim school manager when you are next at the Dulwich Baths (I'm happy to do this on your behalf if you would like me to). In terms of the number of pupils per class hichm, the standard is 10 children per class. I think the likely reason that there were fewer when you started using the facility, is that while the Leisure Centre were closed for renovation, customers moved elsewhere and it took a while for classes to refill again once the pool was reopened (eg parents would keep them elsewhere while they were still in a particular level with a teacher they were used to).

Renata

I'd just like to amend my original post by saying the second lesson of stage three, this friday gone, was SPECTACULAR. By chance there were only two children in the lesson, three when a boy joined from another group halfway through the lesson. The teacher was personal, fun, playful, inspiring, and FAB. Complete fluke that only two/three people were in the lesson this week, I suppose, but on average I guess I have to say I'm happy with it now! In conclusion - the teaching itself and the teachers I find great. I think if they had the staff to allow them to do their thing instead of being overstretched, I'm sure everyone would benefit.