east dulwich - what's it like now?

helen

If you promise not to tell anyone, I will point out the obvious (to me anyhow). I am 'sending up' what I see. I was sitting on the bus two weeks ago, reading an article about blogs in the London Lite, and I decided to create a blog to entertain myself. I was fed up watching 'I'm a celebrity'. Up until that evening, I had never read another blog, and to be honest - as the vast majority of the blogs I have read since seem to be from teenage girls writing in foreign languages, I never imagined that anyone would find it, or read it. I am sure there are many people like me, who find the things they see as hillarious as I do. I am over the moon that you find it amusing. I spend my evenings laughing out loud writing it.

Best wishes,

dulwichmum

The ED station has so much rubbish around it that its ridiculous. Does anyone know where we can complain - I think it might be the train company's responsibility but I'm not sure? I will ask next time I'm at the station and the ticket office is open.

But why should she? I don't know if I'm more annoyed with the nasty, selfish idiots who drop the litter or the train company that turns a blind eye to the disgraceful state its stations are in. Either way it seems wrong that volunteers should have to clear it up. It's not like guerilla gardeners, who are enhancing drab environments. Keeping stations clean and tidy is a basic priority that shouldn't have to rely on volunteers!

That's all very well James, and I genuinely do agree with you. But 'should' doesn't get very far in Blair's ppp Britain where the shareholders and cost-cutting are everything, and where we're apparently customers, but noone gives a shit about us.

And if you do commute from there you eventually have to work out it's not necessarily somebody else's problem ?

I remember something about a group (London Wildlife Trust or something like that??) doing something to the area like turning it into a wildlife haven to attract butterflies etc. Not sure what happened about that. Will try to find out. Shouldn't really be up to us to have to volunteer to tidy it though - we pay the train companies enough for tickets for the trains which are long overdue an upgrade! They prefer to pocket the profits than make any sort of improvements. Will keep you posted on what I find out.

While I'm ranting about rubbish... Southwark Council are hopeless. When you ring to complain about the huge amount of rubbish floating down your road (because it hasn't been cleaned in such a long time), they reel off the timetable which says they clean our road every two weeks - yeah right! I have kept watch (by inspectinf every evening to see if the street has been cleaned that particular day) and they definitely don't do it every 2 weeks. They're telling porkies. They also don't bother to collect the recycling always. You ring that helpline which just logs yet enough call against my address and I get yet another reference number. I think I'm going to contact of of our local councillors on that one.