Bobski the Builder

LuvPeckham

Did anyone watch this show last night (Thursday)

It was the tale of two extensions, one done by a polish team of builders and one by a british team

I have to say (and I don't se this word often) but there were two C*^ts shown by it last night

First one was the house owner(s) that the polish team worked for, they shafted them royally and telling the foreman that he couldn't get money for materials in advance, any changes to spec where his problem (and his cost) and finally told him they were bringing their electrician on site and his costs would come out of the builders agred fee (hence a loss of ?500) despite the team doing one amazing job... the good side is that the electrician liked their work so much he hired them for his extension.

These property owners are the sorts of people you just want to smack and tell to get real

The Second was the British builder, who took longer then planned, got virtually all the money up front despite not delivering (every time there was a problem with the site, he downed tools and went off to another job) the work was substandard and he did such a bad job that the council (where it was filmed) are now going to investigate his work. He also constantly told the camera how he always has to go and fix the bodges that polish builders make... (let me think about that for a moment)

He is the sort of builder you want to tell people not to use.

It was a fascinating program and whilst it generalised the two different 'classes' of builders, it showed that you can't always tell what standard of work you would get just by where they come from, their accent or anything.

It was great viewing and I am curious to see what comments other people had concerning 'bobski the builder'

Yes, I saw it - I don't thing "Heritage" Builder or whatever his name was will get any more business - it was a bodge job from beginning to end. Felt really sorry for the home owner. I am guessing the council will recommend the demolition of the extention and start again.

The Polish guy was well and truely shafted by that couple in Slough - no doubt they are shame faced this morning after watching the programme. Hope that builder gets lots more work now.

Polish guys did my last big job, and I'm sure anyone who'd been there would say they did a cracking result.

We had some humorous moments with the fireplace and electrics, but if you take on a major job without the odd wry smile then my advice is don't start.

At school my report was 'did the bare minimum', but the Polish guys 'met expectations without harrassment' and the English guys on the previous job 'appeared to meet minimum requirements whilst failing to meet acceptable standards'.

Rang the UK berks when we leaked water into the downstairs flat and discovered they'd changed their number 4 times. Still p1ssed off.

KalamityKel

I have to respond and say

you think you are worried, I sometimes wake up and think what on earth was that all about last night - especially if I watch something as 'weird' as Coronation Street, which I dipped into last night to discover secret affairs, murder, Child kidnapping, Threatening Letters, Alcoholism (well they all drink too much) and worst of all bad acting (That Dev Bloke) - stroll on Virgin 1 at 11 with Sexcetra is all I can say - a decent educational program for god knows who !!

Hmmm - maybe I do watch too much televison :(

Nothing, except for maybe changing the perception of the sterotype image of Polish builders do shoddy (but cheap) work and that british builders does excellent (but expensive) work

It made good mindless television viewing, and is better then Strictly Come X-Factoring !!

Thing is, Europe has a long tradition of Tradesmen - usually apprenticed & time served - you cant call yourself a builder or plumber in germany without actually proving that you are qualified & the trade groups ensure that their members come up to scratch.There is an element of pride involved.Fraudsters are not tolerated in much of Northern & central europe

he same is true for much of the old Eastern Europe esp. Poland/ Czech/Slovakia etc , despite many still thinking of it as some kind of rundown stalinist theme park - Krakow, Tallinn & Prague didnt build themselves

IN the UK, Builders seem, more often than not, to fall into it rather than it being a career choice.Granted that many Polish builders across here may not be fully time served, but even with their partial training, they are more technically adept than their UK counterparts.There are of course many Good UK builders and tradesmen, but much harder to find.