East Dulwich Picturehouse

To Lyn Goleby, Managing Director, Picturehouse Cinemas, who said: ?We are deeply saddened by the decision of some of our staff at The Ritzy cinema in Brixton, who have voted to strike over pay."

Well Lyn, boo hoo. However, I am deeply saddened that you are refusing to pay a living wage to your staff. And as to paying them "substantially" more than the minimum wage, that would be the "substantial" amount of 93p an hour more, would it not?

That brings their pay to ?7.24 an hour. How the hell can anyone in London live on that?! I believe that if a business can't afford to pay a living wage to its staff then it does not deserve to be in business in the first place.

"That brings their pay to ?7.24 an hour. How the hell can anyone in London live on that?!"

Depends who we're talking about surely. If it's a young person living at home and not paying out any rent, I think they could have a pretty good time earning that. If it's someone in a family with 2 kids, then not so much.

You're asking me, and I am indeed posting here, and I've answered. Again, none of the staff in those pictures look like they're 17. They all look 20s or early 30s. And again, any business that cannot pay staff a living wage does not deserve to be in business.

buddug Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Great, so people in their twenties and early

> thirties having to live at home with their

> parents. They're obviously having a great time. So

> that's all sorted then.

That's not really what Ibwas saying though was it.

I'd like everyone to be paid well enough to live, but equally I agree with those that question why Picturehouse are seemingly being singled out.

They're being singled out because the case is already high profile, and as usual people are falling over themselves to show how terribly 'right on' they are.

Picturehouse are small fry, there are loads of huge huge businesses in London who pay minimum wage. Lazy.

Picturehouse is not small fry, it's part of the giant Cineworld group. And anyway, their staff aren't small fry either. They're ordinary workers. It's not a matter of being 'right on,' it's just that they've been on strike for a living wage and I want to support them by boycotting their cinemas. The Ritzy pretends to be 'right on' yet they can't pay a living wage. Even Ken Loach is backing them. As he says:

?It is sad and shocking that the Ritzy Cinema, which has an image of being radical and progressive, should fail to do this. It is hypocritical to sell fair trade coffee and then not pay a fair wage. Come on, Ritzy management, don?t ask the people who work for you to subsidise your business.?

I'm not going to reiterate at length what I've said already on this thread in case someone insults me again. Let me make it clear that I would be very pleased if Picturehouse paid the LLW; indeed they seem to be moving in that direction. But I still don't see why they are being picked out for attack when there are so many other local businesses currently in existence who don't pay it. Do people really think that larger businesses who don't pay it should be condemned while small local businesses who don't pay should be let off the hook because they're run by nice cuddly people wearing flip flops with flowers in their hair who are kind to animals and say that they want to save the world?

Zebedee Tring Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm not going to reiterate at length what I've

> said already on this thread in case someone

> insults me again. Let me make it clear that I

> would be very pleased if Picturehouse paid the

> LLW; indeed they seem to be moving in that

> direction. But I still don't see why they are

> being picked out for attack when there are so many

> other local businesses currently in existence who

> don't pay it.

This is such a depressing argument. You seem to be saying that people who want all businesses to pay the LLW *must not* highlight individual failures to pay LLW. Instead, they should limit their campaigns to general statements that all employers should pay the LLW.

What they certainly shouldn't do, in your view, is focus their attention on a large employer with employees who are engaged with this issue and loudly arguing for the LLW to be paid. Instead they should (presumably) be flyering all businesses in ED (or South London, or the UK). Only once they've done that will you permit them to highlight specific failures to pay the LLW.

Instead of asking "Why Picturehouse?" (which seems to be what you have been doing throughout this thread - and yes, I have read all your posts), how about you ask yourself "Why not Picturehouse?"