Car seat for 1 year old+ - recommendations please!

Hi ED folk

My 10 month old son is close to outgrowing the car seat we've had since birth and I'm after advice on the best one to get going forward.

We'd obviously like to get one that will last him till he doesn't need a full car seat anymore but he's still small now - I assume they have inserts you can take out as they grow?

Any ideas gratefully received.

Many thanks!

Hi there,

I've posted before recommending rear-facing and Margaret Bolt's excellent in-home car seat advice service. She is passionate and knowledgable about the safest car seats on the market and lots of friends have used her following my recommendation.

Her number is

07752 253499

And here is the post I made a while back:

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?29,1288253,1288253#msg-1288253

Hi, we have used the Maxi Cosi Axiss.

The seat swivels 90 degrees to face the door to allow for easy access when strappjng your child in. Then simply swivel the seat into the frobt facing position.

It doesn't fit into all cars, but the maxi cosi website has a guide stating which cars it will for into to.

http://maxicosi.carseatfitting.com/axiss/ot-en/

We have found it brilliant and use them for our 3 year old and 2 year old.

Liz

Another vote for Margaret from Rear Facing Toddlers. She sorted me out with 2 Axkid MiniKid seats that should last us up to age 7.

She was amazingly knowledgeable and came to the house with loads of different seats to try, which was way better than having to visit several showrooms to try them all.

I thoroughly recommend this website www.carseat.se great info on site and very helpful regarding advice via email. We have got a Britax Two Way Elite, up to 25kg. Very happy with the seat which we have got rear facing, but can be changed to forward facing when child is older. Really recommend this car seat. Good luck!

We have the Two Way Elite for our eldest and also love it, still very comfortable for him rear-facing at almost 4 and see it lasting several more years til he's 25kg. We got ours from Milton Keynes originally - I don't think Margaret sells the TWE but she knows all about it and can advise on it or equivalents. We needed a non-tethered one for our second rear-facing seat and so went for the Hauck Varioguard (18kg limit) which our daughter loves, really comfortable looking and very high so gives a good vantage point. The good thing about having the TWE already is that we know we can rear-face our youngest child til 6 or 7 years which is fab and meant we didn't have to choose a 25kg one (bit more expensive) given our age gap.

If you're after a car seat that rotates for easy in/out access, then the Cybex Sirona also does this and it is rear facing to 18kg too. I'm considering it as a 3rd ERF seat if I decide not to turn my eldest one around in a booster when the little one has out-grown her 0+ seat in a few more months.

Hi, I have an "as new" Maxi Cosi car seat available for only ?50 (?115 new). Was bought by my Mum and Dad for their car and has been sat in no more than 3-4 times.

Call me on 07582 385770 if interested.

Mike.