Manchester

J-Rex

I've made the decision to leave Dulwich and London and to move up to Manchester and I'm looking for a bit of info from Mancunians. I've started looking at possible areas to live and found some properties in Chorlton that have caught my eye http://www.bridgfords.co.uk/forsaleoffice/Chorlton/385 my question is what's the area like? How would you compare it to Dulwich? What do you like/dislike about Manchester? I'm just trying to get a feel for the area.

Chorlton is one of the default areas newcomers to go, the other being Didsbury. Both are in Manchester itself, but you could also try Stockport - especially the Heatons. All these places have what you'd expect of an inner-city suburb and Didsbury - which I know well - is a good place, with similarities to SE22 but with a quieter, more suburban feel. You'll already know that it's cheaper and there is more space, but even Manchester - a big city with a long history - will not have that "London" feel. The city centre is, on the whole, very good, with good spaces, excellent shops and bars and a good cultural scene, as well as cheaper cabs and loads of buses and trams. http://www.buzzfeed.com/tabathaleggett/things-manchester-has-that-london-should-get-immediately

Hi J-Rex, my brother lived in Chorlton for a quite a few years and really liked it. I tend to think of it as Manchester's answer to East Dulwich, it is pretty gentrified. Pretty quick to get into town on the Metrolink. The Horse and Jockey on Chorlton Green is a decent pub as I remember (I've not been in there for a while). Place has a nice feel to it.