StitchED and BitchED - every fortnight in the East Dulwich Tavern

es22

We're not due a session till next week, I'd love to come out for a drink and a knit tonight but am on my own this week so am full time babysitting. Could host actually though, now I think of it? PM me if you fancy it, I'll put it on the fbook page..

I know they have classes at Stag and Bow in forest Hill, and I'm sure there are more around too that I don't know about. We can teach (or remind you of) you the basics though I'm sure if you can make one of our meetings. Next one Tuesday the 6th at the usual time and place.

Hi all, I'm interested in coming along to this on Tuesday. I have to admit that I don't have much experience of knitting but am keen to learn! Is there anything that I need to bring along with me, and what are the timing/location details? Thanks

We're next meeting on tuesday the 6th at The Cherry Tree on Grove Vale from 7:30. I'll be there early though, probably by 7.

You'll only need the obvious, yarn and needles. These can be borrowed if you don't have them.

This may be controversial but I would suggest starting with a double knit yarn and corresponding needles (4 or 4 1/2). The very chunky yarns knit up incredibly quickly but they are a bit clumsy to work with and not the best for learning decent technique. PM me if you need, I can bring you some. See you there!

Thank you so much for letting me know! I'll aim to get there a bit earlier too so that I can say hi and introduce myself. It would be great if I could borrow the needles and yarn on Tuesday, and then find out from you the best place to source these for myself (I'll PM you now) I look forward to meeting you on Tuesday!

I would love it if this group met every Tuesday, rather than every other Tuesday, as I can never remember which week it's supposed to be on and consequently forget and never come, even though I'd love to attend more often.

By the way, the Herne Hill Stitch and Bitch Group is still going on Wednesdays and has now moved to the Effra Social, 89 Effra Road, Brixton (similar venue problems forced another move for us!) so if any ED residents fancy heading over one week, they'd be most welcome. We too, like to get new blood in. The Effra is a great place, they brought us our own extra light so we can see what we're doing and there's lots of space.

Not sure every week would work, unless most of the group could make it most weeks and I suspect that most people are just too busy. I'll be sure and float the idea at the next meet though, which, by the way, is next Tuesday (20th).

There's usually a reminder if you follow the Facebook group, which I think Ellie linked in the original post.

Re Mini hats, most of us are not advanced knitters, and therefore struggling on through with our own projects. We all like the idea of knitting for charity and have tried it a few times before but we don't have a great track record. I'll certainly relay the request next week though and see if anybody's up for it.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd love to join you next week, I'm a pretty novice knitter, currently working on a worm for a friend's kid, which is going very slowly. Would be great to knit in company and hopefully finish the worm before he reaches adolescence! Look forward to meeting you. Sarah.

Hey Yarnies!

We've had talks about QueenMab's suggestion of meeting weekly, weighing up the terrible difficulty of following a bi-weekly schedule, and of fitting a weekly meeting into our busy lives and we've decided to give weekly meets a trial period.

So for February and March, while it is still knitting season, we will meet every Tuesday evening at the Che(e*)ry tree from 7:30. I'm mostly there from 7, but you may want to check if you plan on coming early and don't want to sit by yourself. I'm not completely dependable.

We're very easy to spot, on account of the pile of yarn on the table, which, BTW, is most often the big round one to your right when you enter.

QueenMab and her Herne Hill knitters (as well as anybody else who'd like to come along an join the fun), please do accept our invitation to come and join us now that you know when we will be meeting, and if you can forgive my little dig. After all though, what good is a knitting group without a little ribbing?

* In joke, stemming from previous brilliant typo.