If you cycle in London, this should be of interest

Medley

Great points being made - please make them on the consultations!

Thanks to those who posted the E and C and CS5 ones too, I don't know why it all can't be done more holistically and communicated more clearly that all this is going at the same time, but there we go.

On the negatives, I too am queasy about bi-directional. And there are too many narrow segregated lanes in London at the mo. These are generally wider, but are they wide enough?

However, my fear is that if I go in with the mentality of all that's wrong with these and nitpick away then TfL will be left with:

- car lobby firmly anti (RAC Foundation already moaning)

- 'business' groups likewise (London First likewise)

- cyclists lukewarm at best, or even anti.

At the first glance I've given them I think these are good enough, and they are at last a step-change. LCN wasn't a step-change. Nor was LCN+. Nor was Cycle Hire. Nor were the first blue paint generation of 'super'highways.

On James' points, I fear he's swung himself into the negative unjustly. Sure, there are problems here - and phasing to green sounds lovely.

But I use that Wellington/W Bridge twice a day, and I have done every day bar holidays for 5 and a half years. yes, the phasing is a little annoying. But it does stop cyclists careering southbound across the junction and over the next, in a highly touristed-area with people not looking the right way etc. Nonetheless, it's annoying, tempts cyclists to jump the reds they get to after the greens and so on and on and on. But do I like the fact that there is a cycle route there for me to use? YOU BET I DO.

Baby. Bathwater. That's where I am at the mo on this.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

With all due respect to

> ruffers the expecation would be much higher cycle

> flows coming from further away on average (Utrecht

> is a much smaller less populated town). So many of

> the cyclists would expect to cycle further and

> faster (proven maximum time people are willing to

> commute) and be less likely to dawdle on such

> facilities.

>

All I can say is there are a hell of lot lof cyclists using these lanes in Utrecht at 8.30 in the morning going at reasonable speeds. I think the underlying meaning of the last sentence is it could work if cyclists choose to make it work. Dawdle is quite a loaded word - "go at a considered pace bearing in mind the greater good" might be an alternative?

And this is also where the devil resideth in the detail - a too narrow/conflicted segregated path is very different to a wide enough one for cyclists of different speeds to get along (by the faster ones being able to overtake the slower ones).

Thanks James Barber.

How will they know where to put additional bike parking if there is no facility for people to report full bike racks?

How much do you think it would cost to create a website where you can upload a photo of a full bike rack with a time and some GPS coordinates?