Centre parcs tips needed please

Jhumphreys

I have looked at CentreParcs so many times but I am struggling to pull the trigger as it just seems sooooooo pricey. We're looking at a weekend over Easter with my parents too, so 4 adults and 3 kids. It is coming up as like ?1200-1600 for a 3 night weekend.

We're splitting the cost with my parents so might be able to swallow it, but is it worth it at these prices? The children are 8, 6 and 3 so the thought of having lots of age appropriate activities and especially the pool is very appealing. Realistically, it is getting harder to entertain them for a holiday at a normal self catering cottage and a bit of a hassle to get everyone in and out of the car all weekend to visit various local attractions. So the ease of the CentreParcs approach does appeal!

Last Easter we went to Center parcs in the Netherlands. I would highly recommend it. It was about 3 hours from calais. The Parc itself and accommodation was a little more rustic shall we say than the UK ones. But then it was only ?800 for 6 nights over the easter holidays! Plus there was a snow dome on site so our 5 year old had a couple of ski lessons. It was great.

We've been to Netherlands the last three years and are booked again for this year. It is getting pricier as the parks are being upgraded but still less than ?1000 for a week in a 'VIP' cottage at May half term - VIP includes fresh bread/pastries delivered every morning, which is a great extra. Going for a week also means you can have a day out or two without feeling that you're wasting the chance to use the facilities in the park. In past years we've had day trips to Amsterdam and also to the Efteling theme park.

We've been to De Emhof, Het Heijderbos and Port Zelande (not necessarily spelled accurately). Preferred the first two because they are in the forest, Port Zelande on the coast - still good though, especially if you want to try kitesurfing or similar. They have a 'bird' rating (like stars) and the 5 bird resorts are going to be closer to the UK standard, though still not as luxurious as the UK parks are now. De Emhof is very handy for a day trip to Amsterdam. We love going to the Netherlands because the national cycle network is everywhere, so you can ride straight out of the park and onto cycle routes that take you anywhere.