Sporting Trivia Challenge Trophy

Mick Mac

-ish. I'll let an impartial blog take up the story, and surely Mick Mac can post the next question as he got the two elements of this one.

Hibs? Famous Five inspired Brazil 1970

You might have thought that Pele and the great Brazilian soccer team that won World Cup glory in 1970 did it all on their own. Like most others, you probably thought the mesmerising samba style was God-given and innate, a case of nature and very little nurture. But according to a new book they drew inspiration from a Scottish club - none other than Hibernian Football Club. Fans of Hibs claim that their legendary forward line of the Fifties, The Famous Five, provided the inspiration for the best football team the world has ever seen. They base their theory on what they have found in a Brazilian Football Encyclopaedia, printed shortly before the 1970 World Cup in Mexico.

While there are no references to the national Scotland team, or the Old Firm, an entire chapter is dedicated to the skills of The Famous Five - Gordon Smith, Bobby Johnstone, Lawrie Reilly, Eddie Turnbull and Willie Ormond.

Hibs at the forefront of football

John Campbell, editor of the fanzine Mass Hibsteria, said: ?The encyclopaedia seemed to be a comprehensive manual on all aspects of tactics. The accompanying drawings seemed to be making the point about how The Famous Five used to swap positions during a game, bamboozling opposition.?

He added: ?Hibs were included because they were, at one time, at the forefront of football and brought to it a style that was original at the time. ?The Brazilians recognised what Hibs brought to the game.?

Well Ted Max - with your posts on this thread tonight and mine on the Football Focus thread - the anglos really are being given a lesson on how scottish teams led europe and the world in the 60s. I'm sure they will all thank us for this education.

My question would be:

In the 1977 European Cup final, Phil Neal scored a penalty, who brought whom down for the penalty award?