How ruthless are you about clearing out toys...?

We seem to be reaching crisis point in our boys playroom - they have so much stuff, it's an absolute mess and with christmas and birthdays coming I'm feeling the need for a cleanse! But at 3 and 5 they still seem to play with most things - I found them with the mega blocks (the big baby ones) out yesterday, and the happy land I'd earmarked for disposal is suddenly my 3 yr olds 'best thing'!

How does everyone else manage?!? I Javan entire drawer full of castle duplo that is rarely touched, but I'm sure they would play with it if I was more proactive at helping them set it up!

I kept trying to empty my daughters toys out (she is aged 5) as her younger brother (aged 16 months) now has toys too! so i got Nana to come down - far more ruthless and hardcore than me. It went a bit like:

DD - no nana i really need that broken bit of toy

Nana - this one? the one you haven't played with for a year

DD - yes nana its very important

Nana - shoves it in the bin

Brilliant!

Could try making a fun afternoon out of putting together shoeboxes of toys to go abroad for other children who need them more to play with. My mum used to do that with me and it was really good at bedding in that idea of others who were less well off than us and learning about the world (looking at where they would go).

Think we started that when I was about primary school age.

I go through periods of ruthlessness, generally on days where I've tripped over plastic tat one too many times and lose my patience.

Do it when the kids are out, put stuff somewhere they never go (loft room for us). If they haven't asked for it in a week, get rid! I donated some toys to the cr?che my youngest goes to, so she still gets to play with them, but the mess is someone else's problem :)

I agree the best option is to just grab the toys and if they dont ask for them after a certain time you can clear them or either you can just tell them you are going to take some toys and teach them that you have to take it because they have too many toys, you can ask them which ones they prefer to keep but the main goal is to clear so there is more space and more tidiness which is main point.

Thats what i do with my children. Although sometimes they dont like it thats the way it has to be, And they have to understand that.

They get over it after a while anyways. :)

I'd keep everything whereas my missus is like Attilla the Hun, she's right. The quidlets seem to embrace the less is more philosophy by playing more with the toys that are left rather than being overwhelmed by choice (and junk)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Discussions

• We were hoping to have a meal at Monkatsu  last night (Sunday), after having been out all day. Online information gave the closing time as 10pm. We got there around 8.30pm and they wouldn't give us a table because "the kitchen closes in half an hour." Surely it doesn't take half an hour to make a meal? We've never had to wait that long when we've eaten there before. Has anybody else had this happen? We ended up going home and getting a delivery, which wasn't how we had envisaged the end of a nice day 🙄
    • That place did only have pizzas on the menu, to the best of my recollection. We ate there once, the pizzas were ok but the room was not exactly atmospheric. Il Mirto has  a lot of pasta dishes on the menu,  but that also never seems busy. It's small and out of the way,  and easily forgotten if you're looking for somewhere to eat, I suppose.
    • London's Fallen. The Mayor, was, is and will remain a disaster for London "Sadiq Khan’s legacy: 772 six figure earners in TfL alone, 18 TfL employees on over £250,000 Sadiq paid himself £171,587 in 2022-23, up £21,000 from four years ago, What do you get? 4.99% council tax increase, ULEZ tax, Mayoral tax doubled to £471, Knife crime up, Acid attack capital of the world, Shoplifting up 48% Muggings and picketing up x3 He’s filling his mates and his own pockets, laughing at you in his bullet proof Range Rover Sentinel paid for by the taxpayer." "More than 1000 of his City Hall staff are on a salary of £100,000 or more per year" So were is the value of money in that , and you know what, we all pay for it from our council tax. More administration and more of a burden on the people. He is out of touch with reality.  And as for Susan Hall, her campaign was only about Ulez, it was the only thing she ever brought up, when London has so many other problems that she didn't ever mention once. Her hope was that the voters in the outer London Boroughs would get her over the line, she failed miserably.   And why does the new mayor think Londoners should provide school meals for children, not his, or our responsibility, or does he now control the running of schools as well.  And as for air quality, its been proven Ulez has made practically NO difference. Where is all the money he's generated, certainly not back into London, otherwise he wouldn't have raised his part of the council tax for 2024/25 by 8.3%. WE pay more and get less each and every year.  Well if that's the case, the scrutiny of borough councils needs to increase 1000+ fold and be held to account for the actions they take and the decisions they make.  His "winners" speech was no more than hot air, saying how he represents all Londoners, I'll tell you what, lets switch Mayors and have Andy Burnham, Manchester can have Khan, At least Burnham is a proper politician with proper values who actually cares about people.  
Home
Events
Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Search
    Search In