Tipping binmen at xmas

Same here, I remember in the 70's when I was growing up, my parents & neighbours knew our postman, bin men & milk man well, they all got a little something.. The postman ( who if I remember well, was nicknamed "running Ron, & his tip always was in bottle form )... you couldn't forget the paper boy who would knock and wish you a merry xmas with his hand held out :) I have no idea who empties our bin or delivers mail these days, Don't even know if we have the same people every week, so wouldn't know who to tip, I'm sure they would appreciate it though.

I forgot about the coal man ! ...GOD, I"M SOOO OLD !

spark67 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> I forgot about the coal man ! ...GOD, I"M SOOO

> OLD !

How about the paraffin man? Esso Blue or Aladdin Pink :))

Don't remember my mum tipping them though :))

Southeast Twenty Stu Wrote:

> egoode Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I've never heard of tipping binmen or the

> postman

> > as someone else suggested. I'm not even sure

> how

> > I'd do it given I'm not home when they come by.

> I

> > do tip my cleaner though at Christmas.

>

> Don't want to divert the thread too much, but out

> of interest, how much do you tip your cleaner?

> I've been wondering what might be appropriate.

I've had a couple over the years and I basically tip double what their usual rate is. I'm not sure what people usually give and I'm from Australia where it's unusual to tip anyone at all so not always sure if I'm tipping correctly.

Sue Wrote:

> spark67 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> >

> > I forgot about the coal man ! ...GOD, I"M SOOO

> > OLD !

>

> How about the paraffin man? Esso Blue or Aladdin

> Pink :))

>

> Don't remember my mum tipping them though :))

I think the rule-of-thumb was tip those who delivered to the door - our paraffin man was a van you took your can out to - though I don't think my mum tipped the Alpine Pop man, or the man from The Pru... or the Pools man... or even the Avon lady.

We've lived in our house for more than 30 years, and we always used to tip the bin men, post man and the milkman as we knew them all and saw them regularly. We haven't tipped the bin men or post man for many years, but we still tip our milkman every Christmas, he has been delivering our milk and other items reliably for more than 23 years now (he's only the second milkman to do this round in 32 years!).

Cathy

.... I forgot about the Alpine delivery...a van that delivered bottles of flavoured soda (alpine was the brand) ....good grief we were so lazy in the 70's with all these deliveries, I'm surprised my family left the house at all !

I think there are rules now about accepting money from tips, remember a friend of mine who's been a postie for years saying they are a thing of the past now.