Strange things afoot at the Circle K

I too wish I knew, SeahMacGabhann. This part of LL has remained largely unaffected by developments further down the hill, and it seems to be getting worse rather than better. Would be lovely if someone brave struck out with something imaginative. With all the passing 'traffic' generated by the library, post office, bank, busy newsagent's etc., this could be something better than 'builders' corner'.

Louisiana

It's a very busy part of LL, for the reasons mentioned above and also because two bus routes start/end there, with many more coming through. I'm surprised more businesses aren't making the most of the area.

A couple of decent restaurants would be great up this end of Lordship Lane - other than La Moulin of course - and maybe a gentleman's outfitters/clothes shop and further up again close down that awful Harvester and return it to being a proper pub again please and while I'm at it a brewery or someone with a bit of money, flair and imagination could take on The Plough pub too - Goose & Granite! my arse - it's a dump!

Ant Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

It's dead naff

> and the food's meh, but it's also very easy to

> take kids to.

Excuse me Ant but what's meh?

Do you really want to take your kids to a Harvester? With all the space there is there it could be made into a really fabulous boozer, like the Dog in the Village, and it's got an even bigger garden. It won Pub of the Year apparently back in the early 70s and I remember hearing that Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor occasionally dined in the restaurant part back in the 60s when it was called the Grove Tavern. I'm sure that sort of place would be far more preferable to the "new breed" of Dulwichites, don't you?

Meh means edible but utterly uninspiring. And taking kids to the Harvester is easy. Don't knock easy. I'm not saying the Harvester can't be improved on, because it quite blatantly can. Just that there's obviously still a role for it to play, which is why it's still there.

I'm not looking to take the kids anywhere Ant because I haven't got any but what I would enjoy at this end of LL is a decent pub to have a drink in or half decent meal that is within staggering distance of home otherwise I have to get on a bus down to the other end of the Lane or take a stroll down to the Dog or the CPT.

nought wrong with the harvester,yep its bog standard fare but its cheerful and plentiful,with as much as you can eat off a fairly impressive salad cart thrown in.last thing we need is another clone of the rest of the ed pubs for the to quote new dulwichites.the harvester has been there long before they arrived in town and long may it continue to do so.

I agree with you there to a certain extent on the pub front Spadetownboy but I speak as someone who has lived in and around Dulwich all my life. It was a half decent pub once but it also has the potential of being a very good one and surely that would be better than a Harvester?

You forget the pork scratchings B)

As an ale drinker (when I'm not drinking wine), I think ED is not badly served for ale. We have some Youngs (e.g Clock House, the Dog?), we have Old Speckled Hen on tap at the CPT (very unusual), we have Harvey's over on the Bellenden side (not the best ale, but not bad), and we have several places on the main drag that serve a decent pint of London Pride or Abbott or whatever.

There's even some Isle of Skye bottled beer in G&B!

There are other parts of the universe that have none of this, and when you ask behind the bar, the say 'no demand' and continue to churn out lager froth.

I remember when the Harvester was the Grove Tavern...

Yep, Gowlett's got TT Landlord, Hoopers has a whole host. Of course Market Porter in London bridge and the wonderful Royal Oak in Borough if you're prepared to travel a bit for your ale (and it has a terrific byo curry house opposite that you can go to the pub, buy some pints and cross the road with them, marvellous)

http://fancyapint.com/pubs/pub1228.html

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/restaurants/info/226/simply-indian

Spoke to the guy in the grocer's by William Hill's (right next to the old Cooperative site that is being renovated) Reckoned it could be a new Tesco's. I know it is a little scuzzy at this end of LL but PLEASE GOD, NO!

citizen

Oh no no no no NO please god no Tescos at my end of LL O_O We have too many newsagents and everyone has their favourite! They'd all be driven away and I love the guys at eurofoods (formerly costcutters... formerly square deals...). It'd look a bit wrong amongst all the little shops anyway. I quite like how this end is a little scruffy.

No. I can't believe it. There's already a mini-tesco at the petrol station near the Horniman's Musuem. There can't be another one....