IP address blocked!

Devonlass15

I got blocked twice tonight.

CloudFarce told me my IP address 213.121.193.251 was blocked.

I do not have the same IP address as Siduhe.

I do not have a static IP address. First time it was 86.161.226.44 and second time 81.157.83.235.

I've still not found out why CloudFarce records and stores my EDF exit URL.

John K

Sorry about any confusion.. but this was my job working for BT and several other Telcoms

So such things interest me.

A ping to 213.121.193.251 now completes with out time out and no lost packets.

So any network issues may well of been resolved.

I currently have access back up to EDF and a tracert to 213.121.193.251 indicates that the trace completes with no errors.

Hopefully BT or CloudForce have resolved any conflicts or any network problems.

We will have to wait and see.

Fingers crossed.

DulwichFox

• Administrator

Ok, maybe I should have stated what's useful to help me find the root cause rather than people telling me things like BT are a major ISP, or unnecessary tracert/ping results. I do appreciate the effort though.

So please let me know if you get blocked, what you are blocked from (the whole site, certain links, posting messages, PMs etc), what you see when you're blocked (a screenshot would be lovely), your IP address (both what's on the screen and by typing in 'what's my ip' to Google) and the time it happens.

The more I get the more useful it is. Unless you were affected please don't tell me you access is ok.

@edhistory, I suggest you contact Cloudflare and ask them, but you really don't need to be paranoid about them, they help the forum run.

• Administrator

Is that the Cloudflare error message?

So to clarify what happened. I banned someone (who was quite lonely) by blocking their single IP using the forum's software.

A few people with BT IP addresses said they had issues posting, viewing etc.

I removed the IP ban and it seemed to be ok.

I had to ban said person again so I blocked their IP using a different method, CloudFlare

A few people with BT IP addresses said they were being blocked by CloudFlare

I've now removed the CloudFlare block.

It seems that the BT's DNS are giving people (in the same area?) the same IP address, or that the lookup table DNS is confusing BT's IP as the same. Or something else. I'm still scratching my head over this one.

BT Shares its IP Addresses

IP address translation/sharing

What is it?

There are only a certain number of IP addresses and due to the expansion of the internet, these are running out worldwide. Eventually they'll be replaced by a new version. Until this time, addresses will need to be shared to ensure everyone can access a reliable broadband service.

We're preparing for this transition period by gradually introducing IP address translation/sharing whilst continuously testing and learning. The change is being introduced to BT Total Broadband Option 1 customers.

If you're sharing an IP address, your internet traffic goes through an extra translation step in our network before connecting to the internet to change it from a private address to a common public one.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44044/~/ip-address-translation%2Fsharing

Hope this may through some light.

Basically if you block anyone on a Shared IP you will block other users too.

I may not of explained myself some time back when I mentioned IPs being block allocated

but this is what I was trying to get across.

DulwichFox.

• Administrator

Ahh, that is most useful thanks. Technically an IP block allocation is a range e.g. 213.98.56.00/255 (so numbers from 0 to 255 at the end) and I wasn't blocking a range.

So the lonely troll is a BT Total Broadband Option 1 customer which means I can drop them a line and have a word.

Thanks for pointing that out DulwichFox, I think you may have found out the reason.

Yep - that looks like it, Foxy. Reading a bit deeper (that'll be the geek in me) the trial grouped 10 users together, but it seems to have rolled out now without saying how many share a single IP. From the EDF experience, looks like the answer is 'lots'.

So now you have a public IP address that NATs to an internal BT IP address for your router, that NATs to another internal IP on your home network. Complicated!

It'd mess me around, as I have my NAS exposed to the internet via port forwarding, and this would make that impossible. Fortunately I'm on Virgin and they're not doing this yet.

On the bright side, anyone using bittorrent with this is now a bit harder to trace.

nxjen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The techie stuff is way over my head but does this

> mean, as one of those affected, that I can't be

> banned without the whole group being banned?

> Hmmmm ...

No. Your account can be deactivated without blocking your IP.

IP blocking prevents any spammer coming back with a new username.

BT say this is a temporary measure. No idea how long that may be.

DulwichFox

• 4 years later...

larrydan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Guys before you enter on the forum check your IP

> address because there are people that are doing

> bad things here. They may do this from free wifi

> you may be using. Before I enter somewhere I just

> enter on https://www.showmyip.com/ and check it.

> This is the best way to see if it is good or not.

> I had the same problem once and I checked the IP.

> you just need to be careful.

How do you check it?